Upgrading my System SSD

Caliburn

Baseband Member
I run my windows 7 on a 90GB SSD, but its starting to get quite old, and it is completly full, if i get a new SSD, like say a Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB. That would give me a lot more space. But how do i transfer Windows from one Disk to another whithout screwing up the system. So my goal is to have everything as before, only whith more sapce on my System drive.

Do i have to go via an online backup-service? Cant i like mirror the harddrives, dosent seem that difficult

Do i have to go via an online backup-service? Cant i like mirror the harddrives, dosent seem that difficult

Acronis and CloneZilla should both be able to do this for you. You can clone from either software if you make a bootable disc.

I will suggest this, however.

From your original HDD, make a drive IMAGE on a spare HDD (if you have one). Then, from that image, clone THAT onto your new drive. That way, you're not actually modifying anything on the original drive.

I've had issues where something went wrong during a disk-to-disk clone...and I spent the next 6 - 8 hours troubleshooting trying to get the system back up and running because it messed up the boot and partitions so badly.

So, everytime I recommend cloning software.... I suggest:
Source Drive -> Image -> New Drive

It takes longer...but is much safer IMO.

carnageX said:
I've had issues where something went wrong during a disk-to-disk clone...and I spent the next 6 - 8 hours troubleshooting trying to get the system back up and running because it messed up the boot and partitions so badly.
So true.

When I got my first SSD about 5 years ago, I performed an Acronis True Image cloning of my original hdd. After it was done and I tried booting to the SSD, it said "No Bootable Device; Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart". I figured it wasn't done yet or something, so I tried booting back to my original drive, and, lo and behold, I received the same message. Now, NEITHER drive was bootable. 'Twas a harsh lesson, indeed.

So true.

When I got my first SSD about 5 years ago, I performed an Acronis True Image cloning of my original hdd. After it was done and I tried booting to the SSD, it said "No Bootable Device; Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart". I figured it wasn't done yet or something, so I tried booting back to my original drive, and, lo and behold, I received the same message. Now, NEITHER drive was bootable. 'Twas a harsh lesson, indeed.

Yup. Because (for some stupid reason), cloning software tends to MOVE the boot information rather than COPY it. Something I don't know why it does it that way...

Never had a problem with Acronis, but +1 on always making an image first. Acronis is the software of choice for us at Bjorn3D because installing a fresh OS copy after every run of hardware takes way too long.

Another +1 to getting a better quality brand.

Back
Top Bottom