Upgrading my system. AMD fanatic... Intel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So, I'm upgrading my system. I've always used AMD... always. However, I'm hearing that after the introduction of Dual Core CPU's that Intel has really taken the lead. But when I read about AMD, there's still a lot of people swearing that they are underrated, underclocked, etc.

What do you guys think? AMD's are so much cheaper that it's so tempting... Thoughts?

Also, in terms of DDR2 800 vs 1066, what are your thoughts on it? 800 seems cheap, and I doubt 800 vs 1066 is enough of an upgrade to justify the higher price. But I haven't built a new system in about 3-4 years... so I figured I'd ask here.

Input, anyone?

If you are upgrading Intel is the way to go and isn't necessarily more expensive either when you factor in their higher performance.

What is you budget and are you planning on reusing any parts like optical drives or a case?

Already got a case, and I have a pair of 500gb SATA drives coming. I'm already using a pair of 250gb SATA drives. (I use this computer to back up everybody else's data in the household, hence the drivespace)

and it's a mid tower ATX case.

I would say Intel. The Q6600 is a great Quad Core chip and does outperform many of the AMD chips on the market to date. With the release of the Core 2 Duo lineup Intel did take the lead. It wont be till AMD gets their newer stuff out later this year early next year that they will be in the running. The Phenom are good but not as good as the Core 2 Duo/Quad Core lineup.

Just my thoughts though. Not fact based off of anything other than what i have read online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom