Upgrading my server... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Upgrading my server...

I have an old desktop that I use as a media center/2nd computer. I'm wanting to upgrade it so I can use it more often. This is a custom built computer that I built a few years ago. I'm wanting to upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD's, DVD-RW, video card, ect...

I'm going to keep the motherboard, and I am not going to change it.

Computer specs :

Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512Mb PC2700
80GB Western Digital Protege 5400RPM (Dinosaur.)
128Mb ATI Radeon 9200SE (AGP)

Accessories :
Linksys WMP54G
500Gb External FireWire HDD

I have been looking into a few things that I am wanting to upgrade, but I haven't been in the computer seen for a long time... So far, I have found the RAM, CPU, DVD-RW and hard drives.

2GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR400
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2 Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB drives
Asus BluRay Combo Drive (Since this is a media center basically. I have a 52" HDTV that I have and will continue to have hooked up to this computer.)

I need to find a card that can support HD, and still be compatible with my motherboard.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Upgrading my server...

It looks like your upgrading everything except for the motherboard, why don't you just make a new system instead.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to drdos

You could really use any of the Newer Nvidia AGP line.

They still promote a bunch of cards that don't require the PCI-E bus, and do support HD.
There are a couple of decent cards out (512mb DX9 etc...) that are sub $200.

I don't know the Names or exact specs off the top of my head (not much of a gamer or graphics person, I'm content with my Nvidia 5200FX that came stock with my system)

Hopefully this helps.

More power to the people recycling their systems and keeping them going rather than buying into the "Ohh I'll just buy a new one" mentality.
I've had the same computer for 4-5 years and its kept me very happy with some little upgrades here and there, that I happened to stumble across.

Keep up with the upgrades, you'll keep that computer running for a good long while.

Dr.Dos.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AGP, HDMI, HDCP Ready @ Newegg:
Click here

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
It looks like your upgrading everything except for the motherboard, why don't you just make a new system instead.
Motherboard and new power supply would be more costly over all. Since I am not going to upgrade the motherboard or PSU, I will be able to keep my old parts as back ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdos View Post
You could really use any of the Newer Nvidia AGP line.

They still promote a bunch of cards that don't require the PCI-E bus, and do support HD.
There are a couple of decent cards out (512mb DX9 etc...) that are sub $200.

I don't know the Names or exact specs off the top of my head (not much of a gamer or graphics person, I'm content with my Nvidia 5200FX that came stock with my system)

Hopefully this helps.

More power to the people recycling their systems and keeping them going rather than buying into the "Ohh I'll just buy a new one" mentality.
I've had the same computer for 4-5 years and its kept me very happy with some little upgrades here and there, that I happened to stumble across.

Keep up with the upgrades, you'll keep that computer running for a good long while.

Dr.Dos.
I plan on running this computer as long as the parts let me. I built it a good 5 years ago, and I have always used it. Yeah, I bought a new computer, but it's a laptop, and I only bought it for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
AGP, HDMI, HDCP Ready @ Newegg:
Click here
I like the 2600PRO, seems like most of the owners actually liked the card compared to the others. I won't be using it for gaming or anything, so this should suffice. The only problems I see with these card are the fact there isn't one with built in HDMI. For the price of that, I can't see it being a huge problem though.
Closed Thread