Upgrading my RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Upgrading my RAM

My mother board is an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2. It has two physical slots for DDR2 RAM. Currently I have 2 sticks of 2GB DDR2 RAM (for a total of 4GB). I want to upgrade one of the two to a 4GB for a total of 6GB to increase the speed a bit. According to SIW (System Information for Windows) my motherboard only supports RAM for the following: Supported frequencies - 200mhz, 266.7MHz and 333.3MHz. Currently both 2GB show a 'speed' of 333MHz (DDR2 667) <--- Not sure what that means. What is the difference in the speed and supported frequencies?

I saw a 4GB stick on eBay that I wanted to get. From the description it states: This auction is for a single 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 240-Pin DIMM ECC Registered memory module.

It basically says the "speed" (which I'm guessing is the supported frequency) is 667MHz... My question is, will that still work on my mother board, or will I fry it or do some other irreparable damage if I try to install it?

I feel like something is right here, but at the same time I'm a little apprehensive.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Upgrading my RAM

I think any DDR2 ram will work, but your mobo will hold it back. If you get faster ram it will work just not up to its potential. I think this is correct, but wait for the real pro's answers as well

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading my RAM

according to your board's manual, it only supports up to 4gigs of ram (2x2gb).

also i believe that stick of ram you're looking at from ebay is server ram, so it would either not work completely or work improperly in a desktop board like yours, that is if your board supported 4gig sticks.
Closed Thread