Upgrading my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aresty

Beta member
Evening folks, I'm new to the forums. Created an account here because I need some help.
Chirstmas is comming soon, and I'm planning to update my Graphic Card. I want to buy the GTX 480, with some other parts.

My system reqs:

Processor: Intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz ( 8 CPU's ) 2.7 GHz
Ram: 6134 Megabytes.
Current graphic card: Ati Radeon 4670 HD.
( Got the info from DxDiag )

So my question is, will it work on this system ? I already know that I need to update the Power Supply to a 650 Watts on, and get a better system to low down the heat.

Thanks.

4670 to gtx 480 won't decrease heat, it will be the opposite actually. get a gtx 570, it performs pretty much like a gtx 480 (or better) but with lower heat output and lower power consumption.

and upgrading the psu is the only thing you should really need to worry about, unless you have a really small case that won't fit bigger cards or something. and if you're dropping that much on a gfx card don't get a crappy psu. if you're unsure, take a look at T-F's psu guide: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/#post1746801

Well the GTX 580 costs a bit too much. But anyway, I'd just need a decent PSU and a Cooling device ?

Also the case is a Dell STudio XPS 435. Is that too small ?

i didn't say gtx 580 i said gtx 570. and depending on where you're buying from, on newegg anyway, a gtx 570 can be found for $50 less than a gtx 480. it performs basically the same, it runs cooler, consumes less power and is cheaper, don't see why you would still get a 480.

if your pc is setup like that pic then no it won't fit. the hdd closest to the bottom of the case would be directly in the way of the card.

here's another pic of your model
Imageshack - img2359mo5.jpg
you see that it'll be a snug fit even when you remove the bottom hdd.

and for additional cooling, i can't really tell if that case comes with a fan in the front or not. if it doesn't, i would just buy the biggest case fan that you can fit in there an just rig it with zip ties or something just to get some kind of airflow in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom