Upgrading My PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnafan107

Solid State Member
hey guys

i currently have a Packard Bell IMedia Desktop Pc with 1gb ram / 160gb hard drive

Heres My Specs : sugup.jpg - ImageHost.org

im planning on upgrading to 4gb ram / 500gb hard drive , i know what ram i need for the motherboard , do i need to find a specific internal hdd to work with my motherboard or do they all work with one

(please suggest some upgrades also , i have £200 to spend ^^ not including the hdd + ram)

heres one i like :

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II - WD5001AALS on eBay (end time 14-Jan-10 21:49:23 GMT)

how do i find out if i have an SATA/IDE Drive and also if its sata , how do i find out if i can have SATA II drives on my motherboard or not ?

ty

Tnafan :cool: :big_smile:

Do you have the iMedia B2218? That's the only iMedia I saw with a 160GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM, anyway.

That model, as well as all other iMedia models shown on PB's web site use SATA drives, so you should be good. If you want to be sure, open up the case and have a look. SATA cables are small, about 3/8" wide (I'm in the US and we use inches :D). PATA/ATA/IDE cables are wide and flat, about 2.5-3" wide. The power connector for a SATA drive is small and flat, while a IDE drive uses a molex connector.

SATA II is completely backwards compatible with SATA I connectors. The maximum theorectical throughput is different, but even SATA I drives do not fully saturate the bandwidth available to them.

thanks dude ill get the 1tb

another question , what other upgrades should i get for my computer ? thanks

what is it that you do with your computer?

i don't recommend any upgrades unless they're ones you can take on to a new computer. I would save my money and try to get a new computer altogether.

make sure you have a SATA wire for that hard drive.

hmm i suppose just the ram and and the 1tb hdd

people have told me i can overclock my processor , how do i do this if it can be done ?

thanks

overclocking generally can not be done on prebuilt systems like yours. The manufacturers lock the bios on the motherboards so that you can't play with the settings. If you build the computer yourself, you'll be able to play around with the settings and clock your CPU higher.

hmm dude i got another question , if my hard drive currently has an 8MB cache , will a 32mb one work on my system or will i have to get another 8mb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom