Upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalala123

Baseband Member
I gona build my system till the parts that i order on newegg thanks to the members of this form.

But now i want to upgrad my old pc so my bro can use it too.

Here is the old PC

Sony PCV-RX550
1.5GH intel(R)Pentium(R)4 Processor
400MHz Front Side Bus
512MB px-133 SdRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX4000 (Does that meets the min system requirements for the video card? if it does where does it full into between the min and recomentded system requirements from scale 1 to 10)

I want it so it meets the recommended system requirments below for playing RO II.

Min System Requirements:
Pentium 4 CPU, 1.4GHz
512 MB of RAM
GeForce 3Ti/Radeon 8500
Win 98/ME/2000/XP

Recommended system requirements:
Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40 GHz
1GB of RAM
GeForce 4Ti/GeForce FX5700/Radeon 9000
Win 98/ME/2000/XP

I want the upgrade to be as cheap as possile looking at below 300USD

All i need is a new mother board to house the new cpu and new RAM and thats it.

I would also need a video card that meets the requirment between the min and recommended requirements if the video card i have now does not meets the requirment.

Why a new mobo? You have a socket 478, and can get a new 3.0 for $86 on NewEgg.

Replace the RAM (or add another stick if it is a single 512), get a graphics card and maybe a PSU.

my pc only suports 512MB sdRAM so i need another mobo that can suport morethan 1GB

Can you help me find a cheap mobo that will alow me to put a cheap video card and CPU that meets that Recommended system requirements for the game and maybe another stick of 512MB sdram so i don't have to wast the ram that i have in my pc right now. (the RAM in my pc right now is two 256MB)

I would also need the the mobo to be compatible with all the hardwares that i have in my pc right now

Please post the link from newegg so i can buy it.

Thanks

I am gona build a core 2 Dual system when the parts arrive from newegg next week.

I just want to upgrade that old pc so my bro can use it to play RO II too.

Everything works fine on the old system, i just need to give it a little more juice. I am not much into pc games so RO II is going to be the only game i/my bro will play.

The amound of RAM a PC can suport, is it determained by the CPU used? or is it the mobo.

My old pc only suports 512MB sdram max, so if it is depends on the mobo than i will need a cheap mobo that will suports all my old pc parts including the EDIT: NEW RAM, CPU and Video card.

Is there a card that meets the recomanded systeam requirement for the RO II and still be cheap and have a video out?

If it is depand on the CPU than does that mean I can just get another stick of 1GB Sdram and stick it in my old mobo alone with the new CPU?

Please lists the links for the parts.

Thanks

I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my bookmarks to look up the specs on your motherboard.

I have a feeling that the FSB will be the limiting factor for you. In other words, it will throttle the CPU to its maximum. it will still be faster that what you have now.

Trotter said:
I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my bookmarks to look up the specs on your motherboard.

I have a feeling that the FSB will be the limiting factor for you. In other words, it will throttle the CPU to its maximum. it will still be faster that what you have now.

ya.

I will use aida32 to get the detailed information on my pc when i get home this saturday.

Can you help me pick a mobo below because i need atleast 1GB of RAM and my old mobo only suports 512 at max.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&SubCategory=280&Description=LGA+775&Ntk=all

This is going to be the CPU i want. Do i need a new heat sinking or my old one will do a fine job? Do i need a new power supply? It yes to any of these please help me find it so i can buy it. I have no idea what is what and don't want to get the wrong one. Thanks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001

when you pick the mobo can you please also help me pick a cheap 1GB stick or two times the 512MB stick to go with the mobo.

Please post the link from newegg so i can buy it.

If i were to uses the new mobo, cpu will the performance be laged down because of my other hardwares thats in the pc now?

Thanks Trotter

I'd go with this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186060
Good overall reviews, and Foxconn is coming on strong.

Your CPU will come with a cooler. Use it, as the one you have probably won't fit, and it wouldn't cool it enough anyway.

A new PSU would be a good idea. get one that puts out about 100W more than your graphics card needs. Look for one from Antec, Fortron (I think), ThermalTake.

That mobo can run dual channel, so 2x512 would be better. Try these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231027
GSkill is a name you can trust.

I doubt that the other hardware will affect it. the hard drive is probably a 7200 rpm ATA, which is still one of the standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom