Upgrading my Packard Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pje1976

Beta member
I have a Packard Bell Imedia MC 2770, which I've owned since early 2007.

Machine has served me well, only had one problem which I got fixed and actually resulted in me having a better machine than the original spec, i.e. it now has 3 GB of RAM instead of the standard 2.

I am considering upgrading my PC so I can also use it for gaming (the kids have the Wii which I also use every now & again – just for fun!!!) and I used to own a PS1 & PS2 and have dabbled with PC gaming too.

I know I need to update my graphics card from the factory fit ATI Radeon X1600 Series to something capable of playing today's games & with that will bring the need to upgrade the PSU.

I've done some research into graphics cards – blown away by the many options there are!! I've seen that the Radeon 4850 is / was a good card , now superceded by newer cards I know, but the 4850 seems capable of playing some of the titles I'd consider getting. I've found a VTX ATI Radeon HD 4850 online for around £60.

Question 1 is, Is the VTX ATI Radeon HD 4850 a good option, or should I be looking at something more up to date, possibly with 1GB graphics memory instead of the 512mb of the 4850?

Question 2 is, would the CPU on my MC 2770, a core 2 duo E6400, 2.13GHz & be ok with the Radeon 4850 / whichever other card you think I should get?

To assist with question 2, I've contacted Packard Bell support and they say the MC 2770 has CPU support for Intel Core 2 Duo models with LGA775, max FSB of 1066 MHz. In theory, the “best” CPU I could get would be the Intel E7600 as that matches those specs. They retail for around £100, so not bank blowing, but would add another £100 to my upgrade cost.

If CPU also needs upgrading, then the upgrade cost will be graphics card + PSU + CPU, by the time I've added that together would I just be as well getting a PS3 / Xbox for my gaming desires?

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom