Upgrading my old dekstop to lga1156, need 3 main parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am looking to get my old rig going again since the cpu died a few months ago. It was using a Gigabyte p35-ds3l, q6600 and 4gb's of ram. I thought about buying another q6600 or e8400 and giving it to my dad for an office system. But after seeing how much they still costs(around $200), I think I want to upgrade to 1156.

I just need the mobo, cpu, and ram. I will reuse everything else from my last build. I have been told that it would be worth it to wait for the new Sandy Bridge models coming out in January. My dad really does not need a new pc right away since his Dell 2400 is still running but getting pretty slow even after a fresh install of Windows XP. Whatever I decide on doing, this pc will last him 5+ years without even thinking about upgrading it except for maybe the hard drive to ssd. The only thing he does is typical office work, you know stuff like excel, quicken and listens to music. Would it be worth it to wait for Sandy Bridge? What will the prices be compared to stuff now? Will they be the same or higher? Will it cause prices to drop on the other stuff?

If I decided to build now, should I go the i3 or i5 route? I was thinking going with the i5 750 or 760 since he plans on keeping this thing a while. I have some parts picked out.

CPU+MOBO Combo

G Skill 4gb DDR3 1600

Anyway to get this under $300 without sacrificing quality or performance?

It looks like the cpu and mobo combo is $254 now. I am almost positive when I first posted this thread, it was $354. I may wait and see what my dad decides. He may decide to keep his current machine for now. Man, I am really itching to buy this as it seems like a good deal.

I just noticed that the memory I picked out is not on the supported memory list for that motherboard. Will that be a problem? The list was updated a couple of months ago. I have been searching for other ram and the ones I looked at are not on the list either.

What is the difference between these two sets of ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

To me both look like they have the exact same specs besides the timing on the ripjaws. Why is one $15 more.

One has cooler heatsinks and is on sale. :D

The G.Skill 1600 memory listed are CL8 and CL8, so you should be fine. My G.Skill aren't on the memory list for my mobo either, but no worries. ;)

Okay that is what I figured.

I am looking at getting an SSD as well. I have been looking at the OCZ Vertex 2 120gb. I may get one of these for me as well. I just wanted to make sure since it doesn't say on the newegg page, does this come with everything I need like the adapter bracket and screws and other stuff?

According to OCZ it comes with an adapter bracket, butt that's all it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom