Upgrading my old computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inked

In Runtime
I have an old Dell XPS 400 computer, its 2 years old and I would like to upgrade it. Some of the parts in it now I can reuse till I get more money(HDD, monitor, DVD drive, case)

I have no preference between AMD and Intel. I was thinking..

CPU: Q6600/E8400
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W (I don't know if my PSU now is enough)
MOBO: BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP
RAM: OCZ 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
GPU: Haven't got that far :(

Much help would be appreciated.

Good luck replacing the mobo in that machine. While you have the right idea replacing the PSU, Dell cases are notorious for not letting you throw in your own stuff. The normal mobo standoffs don't really exist. You'll be better off just grabbing a new case. Check out the Antec 300 or 900.

The E8400 is a great OCer, I know some people will agree with me. The Q6600 used to be an enthusiast processor, but it's getting dated.

Good pick on the mobo. And you might as well pick up 4gb of RAM if you weren't already.

As for a GPU, it all depends on what your gaming needs are. What kind of stuff are you looking to play, and what size monitor/what reso do you use?

Agreed, Dell uses proprietary parts, hence you won't be able to use most parts in they're cases... At the very least I would take out all you can, then look at a case that will suit your budget... Coolermaster makes some nice cases that are great for budget minded. 50.00 is about the average for a decent case...

Newegg.com - coolermaster, Computer Cases

My Dad never listened to me in the first place, while spending $1700 on a computer that had a Pentium D in it, and a X300 SE 128mB graphics card.

The games I would be playing would be, WoW, Fallout 3, and most source games, no Crysis or GTA IV. I have a 21 or 22 inch widescreen monitor. I really have a tight budget of $500 - $600.

What would the things that I could use out of this old computer?

You should be able to use the HDD, monitor, and DVD drive, like you said. Honestly, even if the RAM would work in a new mobo, better to buy new stuff because of how proprietary Dell is, plus the fact that even good RAM is cheap these days.

I agree with the above comments. Dell's are good for people who don't really know anything about computers. They serve a purpose but you can build a very reliable computer with just a little research. I would use the HDD, DVD Drive, and monitor. Everything else just buy. I like Antec cases. The 300 would be good like previously suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom