Upgrading My Hard Drive....HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmptrLvr

Beta member
I got a older Compaq Presario from my sister that wasnt in working order. I have fixed the computer and have been using it for quite some time now. The original hard drive only had 10 GB.(tells you how old it is, huh???) I purchased a Western Digital 250GB hard drive and itstalled it as the slave (the guy at the store where I bought it told me that installing it as a slave was what I wanted to do) Well, now I want to make the 250GB hard drive the primary drive (because Windows is telling me that the current primary is running low on disk space and it might make Windows unstable) and make the smaller one the slave. Would changing the jumpers be the only thing I needed to do and then install windows on the "new" primary or could I leave it on the slave and Windows would still function the same? If I have to reinstall Windows again on the new primary, do I risk losing all of the data on the HD's?

you won't lose your files by installing Windows on a new hard drive, you can just browse the 10GB drive for it.

however, you will need to set up user accounts and settings again, as well as reinstalling your programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom