Upgrading my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetman2000

Baseband Member
I would like some positive input into buying a new card.
Looking to spend 40 to 70 pounds.
AGP x8 slot.

I will use it to run games like citylife and oblivion.

maybe a 9600/9800XT... I don't think it's in your budget, but 6800 or 7800GS. Of course your won't play on high settings but... I've still got a 7800GS in my kids system and it plays all the games very nicely.

I have also just put in a extra 512 megabytes of ram but it did not seem to help the games much. It is not my processer as that runs at 2.8 ghz so i have assumed the games run poorly due to the video card i have which is a ATI Radeon with 32 megabytes of memery.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ATI_AGP_Graphics_Cards.html

Sapphire X1300 256MB DDR AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-119-SP)
Price: £62.95 (£73.97 Including VAT at 17.5%)

If you can afford the little extra (I am guessing VAT is like Sales Tax here in the states). This would likely PLAY both games, but to be honest, with a budget of 80 pounds, oblivion is gonna have to stay at low settings... POSSIBLY medium.

Thanks, i will probably go with the origional one you surgested. Also would fitting a sound card help general running of my computer, as no memory would be taken from the ram i have to play music?

I believe the impact of the sound adapter on the RAM in neglagable at best, but I can't be certain, I am not really a sound guy. I am not sure how much RAM an onboard sound solution would use compared to an expansion card.

It seems a basic sound card is only 20 to 30 pounds so i will go with that as then i can play 5.1 surround sound which i currently can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom