Upgrading my gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

highelve0065

Baseband Member
hi guys.
over the next few weeks i intend to purchase a few new parts for my gaming rig, as i have some cash save for it and what not. I think that i have covered all my basses and that everything is going to work together. my main issue is my cpu cooler, im not sure if its going to fit with my case. anyway here's what i have currently and what im upgrading to.

some random p55 board
coolermaster storm sniper
500g hd
1tb hd
Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
coolermaster v6 cpu cooler
asus gtx 570
750w modular powersupply (coolermaster i think, its fully modular)
intel core i5 2500k

i intend to change my case, memory, cpu cooler, add a few fans, motherboard. the price doesnt bother me much.
Corsair CMT8GX3M2A1866C9 8GB (2x4GB) Dominator GT memory
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard
Thermaltake Black Chaser MK-I Full Tower
CoolerMaster V10 Hybrid TEC (looks so cool)
CoolerMaster 120mm Silent Blue LED Fan x2 (swapping the fans in the v10 as red doesnt suit the rest of my led lighting)
CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Blue x2 (to go on the top of the case and on the side port, side intake and top exaust)

while I agree with getting more RAM, going from 1333mhz to 1866mhz ram will net you roughly 2-3% performance in most programs, 1% in games.
I know you said price isn't an issue, but just sayin'.

Go with a SSD for your OS and main programs. That will give you the best performance bump.

my apologies, i forgot to mention that i have already purchased a ssd and hopefully i will receive it tomorrow. once again sorry my mind is a bit all over the place lately.

+1 on the RAM.
One of the perks to the set you linked is the fan that comes with it, which you couldn't use due to the cooler.
I'd go for some 1600 with the lowest CAS you can find/afford (this is nice for <1/2 the price).

I'd take a Corsair H80 or H100 over the V10 TEC, but that may just be personal preference, they should cool about the same.

Also, keep in mind if you originally bought an OEM copy of Windows you'll need to buy a new one when you swap out the motherboard.

thank for the help. i did consider the H100 to the v10 but i like the look ok the v10 better, thats just me though. my only real concern is if it will fit in my new case.

Final Upgrade Specs

I think iv finally worked out what im going to put in my upgraded rig.

thermaltake chaser mk 1 case, upgrading from the coolermaster storm sniper
asus sabertooth p67 mother board upgrading from an asus p55 express board
intel core i5 2500k upgrading from an intel core i5 650
coolermaster v 10 upgrading from a coolermaster v6 cooler
Corsair dominator 2x4gb sitcks of memory upgrading from 2x2gb sitck of kingston memory (all ddr3)

there is only one thing that im still considering is my motherboard, the asus p8z68gen 3, also if i can get away with not upgrading the cpu it would be good, im not intending on overclocking in the near future.

thanks in advance

Re: Final Upgrade Specs

the motherboard is up to you.
CPU you will definitely have to upgrade if you upgrade the motherboard. i5 650 is a socket 1156 CPU while the i5 2500k CPU is a socket 1155 CPU. only 1 pin difference, however they aren't interchangeable.

if you are definitely not going to attempt overclocking, might as well buy the i5 2500 non-K version. same cpu, but no overclocking.

Corsair dominator - make sure they're rated for 1.5v (or lower) operation.

Re: Final Upgrade Specs

The Cooler Master V10 is a total failure, stick to the V6.

I merged your new thread with your old thread, one thread per topic.

thanks Slaymate for moving the thread :).
iv decided to go with the sabertooth motherboard. is there any other cpu cooler that i could upgrade to or is the v6 still perfectly viable? the ram is 1.65v, how much of a difference is that going to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom