Upgrading my gaming PC

UnderscoreWV

Beta member
Its still going strong, but its getting a little long in the tooth and I have a feeling some of these upcoming games are going to hit hard (Rome 2 and Watch Dogs, I'm looking at you). Plus, I like cranking the graphics all the way up.

So what do you say? I'm thinking about a new video card, maybe throw in some more RAM and a SSHD, but I don't know if that would mean upgrading my power supply. More informed suggestions are welcome.

As far as budget goes, I'd say about $800-$1000

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device 931 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. GA-870A-UD3
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Are you currently overclocked any? Rome 2 is most likely going to be very CPU taxing, but your GPU does need an upgrade.

4 extra GB of RAM (nothing fancy, 1600 is fine), an SSD, and then the hard part the GPU.
You have a hefty budget, so I would suggest something like a GTX770 or something in that area.
Your PSU is fine, and don't bother with the hybrid drives. You can use your current 1TB as a data/storage drive and get a 120GB SSD.

He will most likely have 2x2. If he's spending any kind of money on RAM, might as well be 8 so he can have 12GB total for a more "futureproof" setup.

In all fairness though, he doesn't really need a new CPU. An SSD, more RAM, and a 780 would be a phenomenal upgrade.

Wow, thanks for the quick answers, guys!

One other question. Going with just a new video card, a SSD, and more RAM, will I need a new power supply too?

No. That PSU is basically the standard that I recommend everybody here that has a budget between 500 and 1200. It can power any single CPU and GPU solution.

If you go with just those, I change the video card to an eVGA GTX780 but remain on the others.

Back
Top Bottom