Upgrading my existing rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps3147

Baseband Member
So I am looking to replace my mobo,cpu and ram to uprgrade my existing build. I have my mind set on getting a Amd phenom II quad core, and although the cpu would be compatible with my existing socket AM2 motherboard I also want to get a new mobo so I can upgarde to DDR3. I wanted to know is it worth buying the top of the range core 995 black edition or are any of the other quad core phenoms easily overclcokbale to the stock speed of the 995 back edition which is 3.2GHz. Finally could somebody recommend me a a good AM3 mobo and some DDR3 ram that would go with the cpu, preferablly from OCUK as I already have an accout with them. Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

ddr3 with amd cpus is really a waste of money, you won't see much of a performance gain over using ddr2.

if you want a quad, get the x4 940, its pretty much the same as the 955, expect that its an am2+ cpu, while the 955 is am3.

I agree, DDR3 isn't worth it with AMD CPUs. The only CPUs I think it's worth using for is the i7s.

Agreed, without triple channel you won't see a cost effective increase in performance. Get a board with AM2+ and AM3 so you can upgrade when there are processors worth making the jump for, and stick with the phenom 2 940 like mentioned above for now. It's a great cpu for the price, and easily overclockable. You will get to at least the 955's level on the stock cooler and beyond with aftermarket coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom