Upgrading my Desktop (Clueless)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

the GTS 250 and 4850 are about equal. it really depends on what game your running and what resolution you are running too. yes with a good CPU you will be able to run crysis at high (DX10) and get a good 20-30FPS. when i had my 9800GTX those were the FPS i was getting.

also if you get a GTS 250 go with this one,

Newegg.com - XFX GS250XZDFC GeForce GTS 250 1GB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

cheaper, XFX, and a good overclocking card

Dude, I did recommend a power supply, check the last link in my last post.

A 4850! Good call by patonb, they're great. If I recall correctly, when the 9800GTX+ came out, they were neck in neck with the 4850, it just came down to preferance. Oh and by the way OP, a GTS 250 is just a rebranded 9800GTX+. Which is stessentially a 9800GTX haha. Really comes down to which ever is cheapest at the time, 4850 or gts 250.

Oh dude, a GTX 260 over the GTS 250 without any question. But that one you posted is a refurbished one. I can't really comment on it, haven't ever purchased a refurb video card.

I haven't ever used a Rosewill PSU, I stay away from them. I've heard little, but they aren't a choice PSU brand.

EDIT- If you do want a gtx 260, or just a bigger PSU, like a 550W, I would highly recommend this-

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Really good PSU, I've used it in multiple builds for others.

Alright so I'll pick the PSU and XFX Graphics card suggested, however will both of those fit in my desktop? More importantly be compatible?

I opened up my desktop just now, looking at my motherboard and my current GFX card (the 8600GT) i remember reading that newer GFX cards including the GTS 250 will need like 2 slots in order for it to work, i only see one, the one where my 8600GT is taking up right now, so i don't think i'll be able to upgrade the GFX card

Yes it does.. But the word is pci. NOT pci-E

What it means is you need 2 spots in the case, openings o0n the back.

No I don't think the cards will fit in your case. Get the dimmensions, and measure.

i can jam the card in, i measured it alraedy. However i just don't know about the whole PCI slot thing. All i know is that i have an 8600GT and the sockets fits, now i want a GTS 250 and i DON'T know if the sockets fit :p

Yes it does.. you kjnow thoses metal tabs that pop out at the back of your case??

You need the one for the outputs to stick out, AND the one below it.

So on the mobo, you need an empty slot, PCI-e or PCI, below it open, as the card is twice as fat as your 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom