Upgrading my Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

iGarrett

Solid State Member
Hi there! I have a few questions about a Dell I purchased last summer. It's a Dimension E510. what I do on it is MAINLY gaming with some video editing and graphic design. I mainly play Source Engine games but can't play them to the max like I want to because my current gfx card is too weak. My PC specs:

Processor: Pentium 4 3.4 ghz w/ HT
RAM: 2 GB
GFX: ATI Radeon x600 HyperMemory 256 MB
PSU: 350 Watts

I know I would need to upgrade my PSU to get a new graphics card more than likely. What would the best bu LEAST EXPENSIVE route be?

The AGEIA Physics Accelerator says that is works with 300 watt PSUs, would that help the smoothness and the look of my games? I really need a boost in smoothness because I do a lot of Machinima films with a Half-Life 2 mod known as Garry's Mod.

If the Physics Accelerator is not good, then what are some good PSU and GPUs that I could upgrade to?

Thanks in advance!

I would go for a better graphics card, AGEIA PhysX isnt worth it.

Nvidia 7800GT Would be Fine.

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Thats about 100£ which is cheaper than a AGEIA and will give more graphics help. :)

AGEIA PhysX only work on PhysX games, and since Source games run Havok physics engine it wouldn't help.

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

This is probs a bit too powerful, though I don't know the requirements of a 7800.

Yeah the Physx card isn't worth the money.

Anyways couple of questions, Where do you live? How much are you willing to spend or your definition of "least expensive"?. And upgrading your PSU and video card is going to be difficult in those dell cases >.>.

7600GT $75

8600GT $100

400W PSU $40

Well, looks like I was lied to by the Dell rep. They said I had a 350, I opened it up and found it was a 305.

I am aiming at 200 max. I live in NC. I only have a PCI-E interface...

Could I pay Best Buy's Geek Squad 30 bucks for them to install the PSU and then I install the gfx?

Could I pay Best Buy's Geek Squad 30 bucks for them to install the PSU and then I install the gfx?

Bigger waste of money then a physx card !!!

Honestly installing a PSU and graphics card isnt that hard to do. Just make sure you plug everything back in :)

EDIT: Looking online it looks like the E510 uses a standard ATX power supply and it seems like you are able to upgrade it with any ATX psu :)

Sorry, I changed it right when I posted. So you must have beaten me to it...

What are your thoughts on a PNY Verto GFX card? When I got Half-Life 2 when it was released I upgraded my dad's computer from a crappy onboard Intel GPU to a PNY Verto 5500 FX and it still works phenomenally other than the hardware Direct X is 8...

a word of advice, don't cheap out on PSU's you want one with stable voltages. motherboards are very sensitive to spikes or dips in voltage. DON'T CHEAP OUT!. it doesn't have to be more than 400 - 500 W but make it a quality one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom