Upgrading My Cpu and I'm sort of a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jung_C

Solid State Member
Hi I'm looking to upgrade my cpu to somthing that can handle more high performance games. Im trying to run games like Battlfield BC2, crysis, and the new Cod Black Ops at decent levels. I own crysis and BFBC2 and both run pretty horrible at the moment.(Cod Mw2 and L4d run fine though) If that helps. The problem is ive been searching the web on what cpu's that are compatible with my motherboard but havent gotten anywhere.

Heres what I have:
Intel pentium D E2200 2.20GHz
Geforce gt240
8g ram
Windows Vista 64 bit
550 watt psu
Motherboard = Acer m5641,socket LGA775,Real clock 200MHz(QDR),Effective Clock 800Mhz

My questions I geuss are What category of cpu (either intel or Amd) are compatible for my motherboard?(can I run the new intel i5 or i7 series?) Is there anything else besides my mobo that I have to consider when upgrading my cpu? Also could my garphic card be the issue I was told by some friends it should be fine.
Any help at all would be appreaciated Thanks :)

You cannot mix AMD with Intel. You can not mix 775 with i3/i5/i7. They are different chipsets.

That is not your motherboard model. I cannot find anything on Acer's site.

Ok this is my Motherboard model I believe Acer M5641. thx for helping me so far :)

You can only run Intel Socket 775 processors so that mean a major no on an i5 or i7 and especially AMD. Your Graphics card is bottom-middle range performance wise. I own one myself it can game but you won't see newer games past low to maybe mid settings.

How much of a budget are you willing to put into this?

EDIT: sorry my internet is so slow MoM beat me to the punch.

Ok now I know I need a 775 socket, my budget will be around the $200 range, so do u know any compatible 775 socket cpu's in that range? can I use any intel 775 cpu?

That's a Pentium Dual Core, not a Pentium D.

First thing, your computer seems to have a 4GB RAM max. So all you have is overkill.

I can't find any info on this.... You cannot use just any 775, your BIOS would not accept it. Do you have a user's manual on this?

Edit: Abstract, you're just too slow, not your internet. :p

Your right it is a dual core :/ I don't have a manual any longer do you know if I can dl one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom