Upgrading my Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkatetk

Solid State Member
I've gone through Newegg finding new and compatible parts to upgrade my current computer setup with. Most of these parts are fairly expensive and the reason being is because I want to be able to make this setup last several years without the need of upgrading very often.

So if you wonder why somethings are a bit outrageous (1200w PSU for example) that is the reason why, also may do a Duo or possibly a Tri-SLI setup in the future.

[EDIT]: I went ahead and edited this current post to also include my current computer parts to give you an idea of how big of a step up the new upgrade parts will be in comparison. I didn't bother linking my current parts as some of them Newegg actually doesn't even sell anymore (I.E ASUS Striker Extreme).

My Current PC Specs

• Processor: Intel Duo 2 Core E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
  • Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia SLI
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-Bit
  • RAM: OCZ DDR2 1066MHz 2GB
  • Harddrive: Western Digital 450GB SATA
  • Powersupply: Thermaltake Toughpower 650w
  • Monitor: Samsung 22" Widescreen
  • Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
  • Operating System: Windows XP Professional 32-bit

The Computer Parts

it seems ok, though the sound card is probably a lot more than what anyone needs.

im not sure how that psu is, though newegg seems to like it. antec and corsair especially always seem to make quality stuff.

another thought, it might be ok to take one step back from paying for the top of the line stuff, say the video card. the way tech goes, the money you save will buy you something twice as fast a year from now. i tend to think small upgrades keeps you current and saves money. same thing with the powersupply. you might be better off sticking with one that matches your current setup instead of what you might do later. from what i have seen, you are always better off with a fast single card than trying to stack cards with crossfire or sli.

If you want it to last for years you may want to look into the most current generation of CPUs/Motherboards.
Specifically Intel's Sandy Bridge processors and socket 1155 Motherboards.
(would require a RAM change to dual channel)

Rumor mill has it that the 1155 will be compatible with the next generation Ivy Bridge as well.

You don't need the sound card if you're just gaming and everyday stuff.
Unless you're making/editing music, I don't think you'll need a sound card.

So with your guys suggestions and I've gone back and done further research of my own I have changed multiple items and now have decided on the following parts:

New Parts

I went ahead and added an aftermarket Heatsink & Fan for some optimal performance. To answer a couple questions; I do run multiple processes very often, generally everyday and those include many of Adobe programs (Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop) so I am a big multi-media buff as well as gaming.

Check out the G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM, its also 8GB DDR3 1600MHz.
However, its faster (CAS 8), lower voltage (1.5), and cheaper (79.99) than the Corsair.

That RAM is very nice. However it does say underneath that it was designed for a P67 mobo, mine is a P68 so just to clarify, would that make the RAM uncompatible or does it matter?

Alright took your guys advice, going with the G.Skill memory. Also, what do you guys think about the heatsink & fan Thermaltake Frio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom