Upgrading a Lemon - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post

Just an FYI, Windows 7 runs fine on 1GB of RAM.
Maybe PPMguire might voice his tips :P, I really don't see it running fine with 1 gig of ram, when about 700ish meg was taken up by system processes. That was with slimming down the unneeded boot processes as well

Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddangerous View Post

Maybe PPMguire might voice his tips :P, I really don't see it running fine with 1 gig of ram, when about 700ish meg was taken up by system processes. That was with slimming down the unneeded boot processes as well
Well I wouldn't say it's impossible. I've fixed machines running XP on as little as 128MB RAM. I've seen 7 on systems with a measured 1.5GB. Granted performance was dismal, but they ran. Lol

Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorax_the_Impaler View Post

Well I wouldn't say it's impossible. I've fixed machines running XP on as little as 128MB RAM. I've seen 7 on systems with a measured 1.5GB. Granted performance was dismal, but they ran. Lol
Lol right? The least I've seen for xp was 256 meg I believe. Convinced my buddy it was time for more ram lol
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:

Lol right? The least I've seen for xp was 256 meg I believe. Convinced my buddy it was time for more ram lol
Lol a relative once brought me a "custom" built computer for repair. A whopping 2.12 Ghz single core processor, 1.5GB RAM, and Windows 7 installed. They purchased it not but a year before I saw it.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorax_the_Impaler View Post

Lol a relative once brought me a "custom" built computer for repair. A whopping 2.12 Ghz single core processor, 1.5GB RAM, and Windows 7 installed. They purchased it not but a year before I saw it.
Haha really? My relatives ask me before they buy a pc
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:

Haha really? My relatives ask me before they buy a pc
The vast majority of my relatives dont like me and those who do would rather pay someone to tell them information about computers I'd give them for free lol
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Upgrading a Lemon

My normal 7 install is about 750MB on any machine because I do the same thing to all machines I touch. When my friend came over for a while I was stealing a 2GB stick out of my fiances machine making her run on 2GB of RAM and she couldn't tell the difference really. That's somebody who uses Chrome and Firefox at the same time. 2GB is fine for any general PC, 1GB is pushing it but it still runs, and 512 is just too small for any real computing.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I felt the same confusions in past, I am using graphic apps such as AutoCAD , 3dsmax, CCTV simulator, games, virtualization etc.... I was using AMD sempron ,2800+ with 712 ram ( ie impractical) it seem slow so I upgraded it to Athlon 5500+, 2 gb ram... after some days the same situation .. it never ends well now seriously you should customize your system,, monitor the performance still needed go for it... if you customize it in best way you will change your mind... os itself resources hungry stuff, I still love Windows xp due to minimum resources best performance for all my necessity apps
siddharaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharaj View Post
I felt the same confusions in past, I am using graphic apps such as AutoCAD , 3dsmax, CCTV simulator, games, virtualization etc.... I was using AMD sempron ,2800+ with 712 ram ( ie impractical) it seem slow so I upgraded it to Athlon 5500+, 2 gb ram... after some days the same situation .. it never ends well now seriously you should customize your system,, monitor the performance still needed go for it... if you customize it in best way you will change your mind... os itself resources hungry stuff, I still love Windows xp due to minimum resources best performance for all my necessity apps
That is also a reason I like Windows XP. And another reason I'm mad my laptop is too old to support it lol
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

You mean too new? Anything can be run on XP lol.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop, processor, upgrade