Upgrading a Lemon

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone! And thanks for all answers in advance.

Recently I was surfing around looking at RAM upgrades for my laptop; when I stumbled upon some chatter about processor upgrades. The laptop in question is a Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX, and if you've ever seen the specs your eyes would probably start burning. I did some more checking, and to the best of my knowledge this upgrade is possible, and not too expensive. I would like to throw out the V140 that is in there and replace it with an N660; faster plus another core. In addition, I'd like to add an 8GB RAM upgrade. I know I will NEVER need that much power, but I'll pay the extra $20 or so to max out the RAM. So far, this upgrade looks like it will run me about $100 to $125, which in my opinion, is not bad. However, I'd like second opinions from the TF community. So what do you guys think? Worth it? Possible? Useful? All or none of the above?

Processor: AMD Phenom II N660 processor - HMN660DCR23GM

RAM: Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

Currently I only use the laptop for everyday uses like coming on here, and word processing. However, it's running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS right now, and I'd like the RAM more for running virtual machines, since most of the applications I am used to are native to Windows OS. That, and 2GB of RAM is relatively low for modern laptop standards; I'd like to have more than the minimum requirement if I ever decide I have no use for Ubuntu. As for the processor, the V140 isn't clocked very high, and although it runs beautifully for a single core, the extra umpf from the other core and the higher clock speeds would be handy for things like virtual machines. Also, the current setup is not built for multi-tasking. The point of this upgrade is to be able to do my normal tasks in a more mobile fashion. Personally, I would think the upgrade is worth it, even in the long run; as I'm looking more for raw computing power rather than anything else.

Hence craptop. Lol I don't suppose 64 bit would run on less than 2GB?

It sure as hell doesn't like it. Hence my "barely" earlier lol.

It runs, but you just don't really have enough memory to do much else. OpenOffice considerably slowed my spare machine down. Hell google chrome did too.

Back
Top Bottom