Upgrading from integrated graphics: need dual-monitor support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samer

Solid State Member
Hi, first post. :D

I have a Sony Vaio PCV RS310 with integrated Intel 845GV graphics. I do want to add a second monitor, so it looks like I need to buy a video card. Unfortunately, my computer has no AGP or PCIe slots. I do have a free PCI slot, so I hope that's workable, since I'd rather not upgrade the motherboard, unless I find a good-enough deal.

I also want something cheap, since I'm not a gamer. Would it be possible to buy a PCI video card and use that together with my existing integrated graphics, and thereby have two monitors? Or does installing a graphics card automatically disable the integrated graphics? I could also look for a PCI card with dual-monitor support, but that might be more expensive.

Thanks for any help.
-Samer

but sony says you have an agp slot in that computer so what do you mean you dont??

to be more exect you have agp version 3.0 that supports 2x 4x and 8x.

All right, so I just checked newegg, and it seems most PCI cards come with a DVI and a VGA connection (both my monitors are VGA, but an adapter sounds like no big deal), so it looks like I could get a cheap dual-display card without needing to use my integrated graphics. Good deal. Of course it's lingering in my mind whether I could then add a third monitor using the integrated graphics, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

King: I went to Sony's website, and no mention of AGP in the official specifications. Checking tech-review websites, it seems it doesn't have an AGP slot. I'd open it up and check, but, well... :D The case is a real hassle to close. Where do you see that the PCV-RS310 has an AGP slot?

talldude: A review on the Diamond you linked says "Dual moniter sucks," so I'm not sure about that. I wonder if any of the super-cheap cards will work? Stuff starting at 30 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...048+1069609642+4025&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

Dont go super cheap, as getting a decent card will actually increase the overall performance of the pc, and if you dont even want to open up the pc to check then i dont know what to tell you.

ricanflow said:
Dont go super cheap, as getting a decent card will actually increase the overall performance of the pc, and if you dont even want to open up the pc to check then i dont know what to tell you.

You could always ask a local computer shop to install it. They will charge a small fee...

Installing is no problem, when the time comes. I was just too lazy to stop all my multitasking and open my annoying case, and have to deal with wires, dust, static electricity, and spending fifteen minutes trying to close the stupid thing (they make it like an evil puzzle for some reason).

As far as AGP, this is what Sandra says:
AGP (4h) : PCI 32-bit +3.3V PME Half-Length Available

Very weird.
I found this on a post in another forum:
No, this was not a simple question as Sony really screwed the pooch with this motherboard.

The Asus KIRIN-V actually HAS an AGP slot and is designed to have one above it's topmost PCI slot, but Sony saved the $1.25 and decided to just leave the plastic connector off the motherboard....

So, yes- you cannot run a PCI-Express nor an AGP card.. you're limited to just a handful of very low-end PCI cards if you wish to expand the video capabilities. Pretty much the Radeon 9250, FX series (AVOID), or the Geforce 6200 PCI.

Weird. Guess I'm stuck with PCI. Might want NVIDIA in case I want to fiddle with Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom