Upgrading the i7 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais7

Baseband Member
Current Setup

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Processor: Intel i7 930
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator (CMP6X3M3A1600C8)
GPU: Gigabyte GTS250
HDD: 1TB WD black edition

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM but unsure how I should go forward with it. I have 3 slots empty and a budget of $300 which basically means $150 of Newegg money due to local rip-off prices . I was able to find 8GB Corsair Dominator (CMP8GX3M2A1600C8) for around $200.

So here's the dumb question/s

• Am I right to assume that the 2A in CMP8GX3M2A1600C8 just means 2 memories while 3A in CMP6X3M3A1600C8 means 3. So basically they're identical apart from the memory capacity obviously.
  • Would I be better off with a single 8GB or does 2 4GB work better?
  • 2GB combo with 4/8GB...good - bad - doesn't matter?

I'm also looking to upgrade my GPU in a month or so cause the fact that battlefield 3 didn't run right on my built kinda did annoyed me. I fall under the casual gamer list.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rather dumb questions.

I'd not bother with your RAM.

I'd get a better gpu, 560ti will be perfect or even a 6850/70... Whats your power supply?

I would get a decent cooler, and overclock. You have a fantastic board, and easily get to 4.0Ghz, my 950 on a ud3 is.

+1 on upgrading the GPU, it looks to be the lowest piece of gear in your machine.
Just to give you a frame of reference the GTS 250 is #56/58 on the performance list.

As to your RAM questions, I would assume you're right about the model numbers (3A vs 2A).
However, your motherboard supports triple channel memory, so you would better off getting another 3 x 2GB kit, than a 2 stick kit anyway.

I'd not bother with your RAM.

I'd get a better gpu, 560ti will be perfect or even a 6850/70... Whats your power supply?

I would get a decent cooler, and overclock. You have a fantastic board, and easily get to 4.0Ghz, my 950 on a ud3 is.

I need the RAM cause photoshop keeps running out of memory when I need to align multiple images or save giant 16-bit panoramas. The same happens when doing HD video rendering.

I've got a Cooler Master HAF 932 with a Cooler Master V8 for cooling. Power supply is a Cooler Master GX 650 which I believe I'll need to upgrade if I get a new GPU. Haven't looked at overclocking cause my older PC had heating issues (read: hot dusty humid weather in Dubai) after overclocking. :neutral:

+1 on upgrading the GPU, it looks to be the lowest piece of gear in your machine.
Just to give you a frame of reference the GTS 250 is #56/58 on the performance list.

As to your RAM questions, I would assume you're right about the model numbers (3A vs 2A).
However, your motherboard supports triple channel memory, so you would better off getting another 3 x 2GB kit, than a 2 stick kit anyway.

Can't seem to find the 3*2GB kit I have at the retailers so was aiming for a 2*4GB kit. Would a 3*4GB kit work?? i.e. different in memory size does/doesn't matter?

I'm holding off the GPU purchase for a while now cause I'll soon be getting a 24" screen (either Asus or Dell) to go with my ancient 17" Viewsonic. So need a GPU that'll support both the resolutions (1920*1200 with 1280*1024).

And when I bought the GTS 250, I knew it was mediocre but at the time of purchase I hadn't planned to get back to gaming. :)

You saying "Photoshop" changes EVERYTHING!

You don't need 3 x whatever kits, just make sure for best resaults you have 3 sticks.. So you can get a 2 x4 and a single 4 to make the required 3 set.

A 560ti, and every new card will support your resolution. So find a quality card at a good price and giver.

Your power supply is just fine unless you decide to add a 2 card setup.

You saying "Photoshop" changes EVERYTHING!

You don't need 3 x whatever kits, just make sure for best resaults you have 3 sticks.. So you can get a 2 x4 and a single 4 to make the required 3 set.

A 560ti, and every new card will support your resolution. So find a quality card at a good price and giver.

Your power supply is just fine unless you decide to add a 2 card setup.

Noted. I think I'll take the plunge and get a new GPU as well cause the 560ti looks nice. Just wondering if the Nvidia/AMD cards are due for an update cause then waiting might be justifiable as the prices for the current cards will drop. Would I be able to run games at full quality at 1920*1200 with a decent fps with the 560ti?? I suppose that's the only scenario I might need a dual card setup.

And one last question. Is there anything like having too much RAM?? With 6GB at my disposal, adding 3*4GB gives me 18GB. Overkill??

So checked out the local stores and they only have

- Corsair Vengeance 12gb (3 x 4gb) 240-pin ddr3 sdram ddr3 1600 (pc3 12800)

- Corsair Dominator 8gb (2 x 4gb) 240-pin ddr3 sdram ddr3 1600 (pc3 12800)

Mixing the timing of 9-9-9-24 with my current 8-8-8-24 make any substantial difference?? Also they have different voltage??

If I add a Dual Channel Kit (2*4GB) to my already triple Channel kit...will it make a huge difference?? I won't be able to add another single RAM to it cause they're not available.

Also couldn't find any other (good) brands apart from Patriot though I'd never tried it before so didn't bother checking the specs. Are they any good??

Btw when I checked CPU-Z...my SPD section Max Bandwidth is at PC#-10700H (667 Mhz) so does this mean my memory is running at 9-9-9-24 i.e. JEDEC #3??

View attachment 5088

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom