Upgrading as I go, few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hednik

Baseband Member
Ive been using computers for about 17 years and Ive always been far behind the times in keeping a system updated. I recently purchased a new system from a random dealer and thought I would be happy with just average. My problem is this, It gets old looking at the hourglass all the time more than I think I should have to. I dont have many programs in the background and I keep my system clean daily from spyware, reg probs and other slow downs. I know its a lousy system atm but here is what i have.

- 3200 sempron (I know, Iknow :))
- asus socket 939 motherboard - ati chpipset (dont like nvidia)
- 1 gig 3200 400mhz ram
- ultra ata 133 HD (I cant aford 2x WD raptors on a raid 0 config lol)
- ATI x550se - pci-e (added this)

These are the main thing i am working with here. I dont want to drop alot fo cash on this system but I want to replace a few peices to make my daily internet and gaming use runnning smooth enough. I play WoW so nothing that is graphically strenuous. I like to play at mid high setting and I can raid in a high end guild quite easily. Processor is a big concern but I just want someones knowledge as to what should really be my first priority because a higher processor with a sub par things around it is usless. I have run several benchmarks on my system after several tweaks I have done. I have used SiS sandra and PC Mark05, keep cpuz and passmark's performance test (I get roughly a 310 score)

I know its a convoluted questiosn but I just dont want to drop money on parts that are going to make the biggest diff. Any information anyone can provide would be awesome :)

That's a very nice system! You have a s939 sempron? Those are somewhat rare, but I know there's a few floating around in prebuilt machines.

Really, that machine is a strong one. I see no reason it should feel slow in everyday applications. If you want a gaming upgrade, your video card is the weak point, but overall, that's a very strong build.

Ryan

Thanks foir the info. Its a compaq prebuilt which is a problem in itself but I got it for 250$ brand new. This is a little work in progres as it goes just wanted to see what I could do with it along the way. Only game I play on it is WoW so I am not needing to push the envelope graphically. The bios is a pain to deal with but i can live with it. It a socket 939 processor with 256 L2 cache, prob a oem only processor for compaq. I know I can upgrade to a X2 but it just didnt seem logical with other weak points in the system. I was hoping it wouldnt be the vid card I'd have to change lol. The only reason I didnt go with a higher card is because I assumed the system wouldnt be to run it well and take advantage of it. I'm thinking a 6800, maybe go from there. I just hate that I wasted money on the card :( Last question, since my HD uses the old tech. of ata, is a sata 150 HD upgrade going to be noticeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom