upgrading hp pavillion desktop pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmed12

Beta member
Hello, I don't know much about building or upgrading PC's so I was hoping for advice on what parts to buy.
I currently have HP Pavilion a6745f Desktop PC, AMD Athlon Dual 5050e 2.6Ghz (stock), and I installed a Saphire Radeon HD 4670 1gb about a year ago, the rest is stock.

So I was looking at parts, this is what I found. I have a Phenom X4 9550 processor for really cheap bargain; coming already but I don't actually have it yet.
I am looking at Diamond Radeon HD6850 for gfx. I can get an Antec 450W PSU for 50$ or 650W for 80$. I was thinking do I need a CPU cooler with the processor I'm getting? If so, I was looking at GeminII S524 w/ 120mm fan but I really don't know what to get or if I will need one. I was planning on getting a new fan also.

Are there some things missing, or am I going overboard on anything. most of all is everything compatible (I tried my best).

Welcome to the forum.

You might need a new cooler, as the x4 has a higher heat output than the 5050e.

I'd go for the 650W, as psus are the item that usually has the longest lifespan, so it can be used in your next upgrade cycle...or even new full computer.

If you get a new gpu, you might want to start looking at cases. These upgrades are going to make a bunch more heat that needs to be released.

Thank you for the recommendation I will get the 650W and have to buy a new case also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom