Upgrading HP Pavilion G6 CPU

Jasper.

Beta member
Hi.

I'm looking to upgrade my Pavilion G6 Notebook CPU to a more powerful one.
The CPU I am currently running is a i3-M380 @2.53GHz

I would like to upgrade to either an i5-480M or something similar.

Reason being is that loading up games, such as the Sims 3 takes too long. About 15-20 minutes on a good day. I have 6GB of ram, so I don't think that I need a RAM upgrade.

I am no where near a technophobe, so replacing parts in a laptop will prove difficult for me.

I hope that improving the CPU will increase load time for games, if I'm in the wrong, please let me know.

Also, my price range is at max $70. I do not want to spend anymore than that.

According to this HP G6 maintenance and service guide, here is a list for compatible cpu's
HP Pavilion G6 Notebook PC
Processors
Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor (2.7 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.40 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-2540M processor (2.6 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.3 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-2520M processor (2.5 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.2 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-2430M processor (2.4 GHz, SC turbo up to 3.0 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.3 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.9 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i3-2350M processor (2.3 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) Dual 35 W

Intel Core i3-2330M processor (2.2 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) Dual 35 W

Intel Core i3-2310M processor (2.1 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) Dual 35 W

Intel Core i5-480M processor (2.66 GHz, SC turbo up to 2.93 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i3-390M processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Core i3-380M processor (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Dual 35 W

Intel Pentium B960 processor (2.2 GHz, 2 MB L3 cache) Dual 35 W
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/upgrading-hp-pavilion-g6-cpu-272025/#post2106116

Most HP brand laptops will require the removal of the motherboard to access the cpu, and you'll need some thermal paste for replacement

Here's a video on how to remove your motherboard.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7YmvOIGRk

If your pc is running that slow, then it needs to be cleaned up, it sounds like you have something running in the background that's slowing you down, could possibly be some type of adware or a trojan

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm looking to upgrade my Pavilion G6 Notebook CPU to a more powerful one.
The CPU I am currently running is a i3-M380 @2.53GHz

I would like to upgrade to either an i5-480M or something similar.

Reason being is that loading up games, such as the Sims 3 takes too long. About 15-20 minutes on a good day. I have 6GB of ram, so I don't think that I need a RAM upgrade.

I am no where near a technophobe, so replacing parts in a laptop will prove difficult for me.

I hope that improving the CPU will increase load time for games, if I'm in the wrong, please let me know.

Also, my price range is at max $70. I do not want to spend anymore than that.
An SSD would go a lot further in terms of loading speeds. I do not think you'll find a CPU cheap enough on Ebay for your laptop to meet your budget.

I agree with the other two replies - spending money on a new processor will help but may not be worth the money spent.

I'd recommend:

Before doing any of this I would first pull up the performance monitor in your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc). Close all windows and as much background applications as possible and watch the graphs for a bit. If you see any unmerited activity such as high CPU usage when you're idle it may be a virus or silent running applications in the background.

Heres some info on how to use the task manager:
How to Use Task Manager | PCWorld

After performing some of the steps in the optimization techniques as well as running a Malwarebytes scan check the graphs again and check for any notable difference.

Even if you're heart-set on a CPU upgrade, i'd highly recommend doing this so you can measure your increase in performance and maximize the benefit of your money.

Sims 3 with all the expansions on a 5400RPM drive can take the amount of time he quoted or thereabouts. He may have a virus, but I'm betting an SSD will solve his issue.

Back
Top Bottom