Upgrading graphics card to nvidia geforce 6200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Strider

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. I'm not excatly a genius when it comes to PCs, but I DO want to upgrade to play Half-Life 2.

Now, I'm contemplating upgrading my crappy old Rage card to a nvidia geforce 6200. I'm trading my PS2 and games in for one at my local store, but I've been advised in other forums to avoid it. Why should I?

If it helps, I can post my specs from Everest Home Edition. But before I do that, I'm told I could run a nvidia geforce 5700le for half-life 2 just fine on my PC, so if I can run that could I run this?

Plus, not to sound rude but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't reply with 'ooh, get this card, it's much better'. I played on a 5700 at this store and it looked great to me. I'm not investing in a great card to play for future games that require a supersonic graphics card like FEAR, just something I can play Half-life 2 on decently.

Thanks! :eek:

Plus, not to sound rude but I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't reply with 'ooh, get this card, it's much better'.
Then what DO you want? Someone to say "go for it" so you can justify buying a POS card?

You should be looking at a 6600GT. $150 at newegg.

hehe. They are right, 6600gt is very good, but I know what you mean, I have said that same thing and gotten the same responses in another forum. ANYWAY, ( :) ) posting your specs would help for me/us to say whether the 5700 would play OK on your system. I know you didn't want people to tell you to get another (for you are trading your games for one,) but le editions usually aren't as good.

The 6200 is worth about $70, and depending on your PS2 game amount/type, you may be getting ripped off. Not really ripped off, but if you sold your PS2 games in a lot on ebay or something you could get more $$$.

Anyway, a 6200 will of course play HL2 pretty well depending on your other specs. Oh, if you are also looking for BF2 to play on that too, the 6200 isn't supported, but I THINK it still runs it.

As for the 5700le....it is more $$ than the 6200 and I am pretty sure not as good. Well there are about 2 cards that are about the same price as the 6200, but they are 64 bits which are slow.

Summary: 6200 is pretty good, I don't see anything wrong with getting it.

ATi Radeons perform as well as any nVidia in Half Life 2.

Proof.

As long as you run at 1024x768, you should get very good with the Radeons.

like flanker said, Its an ATI game. So if hes not playing anything else in the future i would got for an ATI card. at the least an X300. it played HL2 well on it but scale down resolution a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom