Upgrading graphics card. How is this possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty411

Baseband Member
So a while back my friend made a new build and he got a PCI-e 2.0 x16 graphics card and well his computer randomly fried by plugging in the front audio ports on his case and so that night I decieded to try the graphics card in my case at the time I thought my motherboard had PCI-e 2.0 x16 ports and so I plugged it in and it worked fine. So now about 5 weeks later Im interested in upgrading my cards because Im running 7900 GTXs and they cant keep up with todays standards. So I start up GPUz and It shows that I'm running PCI-e 1.0 x16 and I called my tech support and they said I have PCI-e 1.0 too.

Now how is it possible that I could run a PCI-e 2.0 card on a 1.0 motherboard?

His card that he had was a 9800 GTX. Im interested in getting the GTX 260 would It work?

What happened? (Sorry for the long post)

PCI-e 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.0. Yea the GTX 260 would work, but I would get the 4870 1GB, personally I think its a better card.

It was supposed to be biased towards nVidia cards (since nVIdia worked with Crytek for that) but I'd say its about equal, if not the HD 4870 1GB still losing slightly.. however the HD 4870 1GB beats the Core 216 GTX 260 too (check out our Graphics Card Ranks)

There are cheaper HD 4870's, but the XFX's double lifetime warranty warrants the extra money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom