Upgrading graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zejeavno

Beta member
Hi,

First post so go easy on me!

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my old 'off the shelf' system. It's currently running a Geoforce 440mx (PCI)
I have one free AGP slot but don't know how I find out what speed it runs at (x4,x8 etc)

My motherboard manual is no help and I've read a few stories of backward compatability problems esp. with ATI cards,

can anybody help me out?

how much money do you have to spend

100 dollars eVGA 6600GT
160 eVGA 6800
300, buy a new mobo and a 6800GS :D

I would hopefully believe your mobo is 4x AGP or 8x AGP, unless its really old and it has 2x AGP :eek: 4x and 8x are backwards compatible with each other

I'm prob. going to buy a new system in about a year so I'm just looking for a stop-gap, just been given civ4 and it runs like a snail!

I've had system for just around 3 years, do you think that would still be 4x?

Thanks, will only run x4 according to that.

Are there any decent x4 AGP cards that will still give me some level of performance on games like F.E.A.R? Or am I fighting a losing battle till I overhaul my system?

bestnamesrtaken said:
I'm not a fan of nvidia so ya..I'd say look at any ATI Cards. I really like the drivers and the card.

yea well you should accept the fact that the 6 series nvidia cards are the best for that generation... but i agree with pzerofgh, wait to upgrade to a newer rig beacuse AGP is going out of date.

bestnamesrtaken said:
I'm not a fan of nvidia so ya..I'd say look at any ATI Cards. I really like the drivers and the card.

If this isn't an ignorant statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom