upgrading graphics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
please assist? :)

Ive got an intel quadcore Q6600 running vista, 2.4ghz, 2 gig ram, 8500gt with 256 mb ram.

I am not sure if I want to upgrade my ram to 4 gigs, or my videocard to a 9800gt, maybe 9800 gtx.

now, here is where i need some assistance, this was a prefab computer, and im not sure on the PSU, how many pins it has, or the wattage, I know I have a PCI express slot.. but thats about it.

so what do you guys think is the right move for me, keeping in mind im on a budget. Id like to play crysis (maybe), definately fallout3, but other then that I play a bit of warhammer, and thats about it, it runs nicely, but lags here and there.

so, please? and thank you!

ur prolly gonna need a new psu because most psu's they put in prebuilts are very bad and have very low wattage/amps.

also i would say a if u get a new video card u would see alot more performance then if u were to get 4gb of ram but only having 2 gb is holding back ur system also.

I'd invest in a 2x2GB kit of some DDR2 800.

As far as a new GPU you would more than definately need a new PSU seeing as how most prefab's come with 300w or less. You should take off the side panel to your PC and see if it says anything on the side of your Power Supply.

From there we should be able to find out if your running ATX standards and such.

Its not a Dell is it?

are you joking me, my assingment for both of you is find me a bench that shows 2gb vs 4gb ram drastically improving gaming performance. Now, you need a new psu ( just to throw it out there I will sell you a nice one either a rp-550 used for 35 plus 8 dollars shipping or a rp-550-2 for 50 shipped) and a 9800gt would see much larger performance gains. O and chances are you have xp which can't support 4gb.

are you joking me, my assingment for both of you is find me a bench that shows 2gb vs 4gb ram drastically improving gaming performance. Now, you need a new psu ( just to throw it out there I will sell you a nice one either a rp-550 used for 35 plus 8 dollars shipping or a rp-550-2 for 50 shipped) and a 9800gt would see much larger performance gains. O and chances are you have xp which can't support 4gb.

for one hes running vista, vista takes more ram then xp to run. he says he wants to play crysis and fall out3 which take alot of ram to run.

if he had xp, id say defiantly wait on the 4 gb and upgrade ur video card, but since he has vista im saying it will improve some, but a new video card will be better.

the way i figure it, you can get a set of 2x2gb so cheap now, if you have the money, mine as well invest.

You could go for a 9800GT/9600GT and 4 gig of ram. I play warhammer and notice that my ram usage goes up past 90%, so 4gig would help.

If you have to upgrade only one thing then i would go with the video card.

I am running vista, and I am not running a dell, but I am unsure of the PSU, as it is a prefab, sending you a private message harnar about the PSU's you have.

I was looking at the 9800 GT, but I have 2 open ram slots, (currently 2x1gig, 666mhz) what if I added 2 more 1 gigs? would I have to worry anything about the timing (as I have never built a pc from the ground up, I am unsure If I could handle this.)

Ram-wise, would it be better to go 4x1 or 2x2?

Gfx card- do most gaming cards require more then the stock psu? and what would the minimum power supply need be? also, what kind of connectors do most cards take, and on what rail? :) ty for all the help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom