upgrading graphic card

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorca

Beta member
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my graphic card. What I have in mind is ati radeon x850 gt 256 and nvidia geforce 6600 gt 128.

My PC specs:
AMD athlon XP 3000+ 2.1Ghz
1 Gb DDR ram
Ati radeon 9600 PRO 256 Mb
Mobo MS 6569
250 Gb seagate barracuda

Do those two video card fit my pc? or those two are a bit high standard for my pc?

Thanx all

scorca

Since you are using a socket A, you will have either a PCI or AGP slot (your mobo model doesn't exist or you typed it wrong).

You need to make sure that your power supply is up to whatever card you choose, and that you buy a card that will go into whatever slot your mobo has. Here's a pic to help you determine if you have AGP or not:

agp_pci_isa.jpg

My wife's computer has an Athlon XP 2000+ and is running a 6600GT. I had to replace the power supply with a 300W as the 6600 requires it, though.

You can check the list here to see how the cards stack up against one another.

I have checked my motherboard, and there are few PCI slots.

I don't have a big budget so if taking geforce 6600 needs extra money, I will take radeon x850. But I need people's opinions bout this graphic card.

Both the 6600GT and the X800 (I checked both the Pro and XT versions) require 350W.

Between the two, the x850 is much better.

I have a question about graphic card. I am confused with graphic card with GDDR2 and GDDR3 technology. Can I use these graphic cards even though my PC uses DDR1 ram?

Thanx for the helps. I have one more question: My mother board is Micro Star MS 6596. I'm planning to upgrade the ram but I'm not sure my mobo can handle 2 GB. I've done some research; some people used 2 GB but some said its maximum ram is 1 GB. Which one I should trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom