Upgrading Gateway GT5228 Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ormazd

Baseband Member
Hello my first time posting!

I have a Gateway GT5228 desktop computer. I plan to upgrade it so I can run the new expansion pack for World of Warcraft. Currently my computer suffers and it hardly runs the game at everything on low settings, reaching top FPS at 8-10 in crowded areas.

My question is I need advice on picking out a good PSU that is compatible with my computer as well as a good graphics card, so it can run the new expansion.

I have no idea how to install a PSU and I'm frightened at the process of thinking about doing it. Is it a long process? Lots of drivers? Any information is welcome.

Here is the link to my computer:
Gateway Support - Specifications

And these are the Specs:

Feature Specification
Processor AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor with AMD64 Technology

* 2.2 GHz
* 2000 MHz system bus
* L2 cache: 512 KB ×2

# Memory Installed: 2048 MB DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) (two 1024 MB modules)
# Expandable to: 4 GB
Video Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 graphics
Up to 128 MB of shared video memory
Audio Integrated 8-Channel (7.l) High Definition Audio
Hard Drive 250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache)
Optical Drive Double layer 16X DVD+/-RW drive

* Write max: 16X DVD-/+R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW.
* Read max: 16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM

Media Reader 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager supporting the following:

* CompactFlash Card
* IBM MicroDrive
* Memory Stick
* Memory Stick Pro
* SmartMedia Card
* Secure Digital(SD)/MMC
* Compact Flash
* Multimedia Card
* xD-Picture Card
* USB 2.0 or later

Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Power Supply 300 watt
# Interfaces PS/2 keyboard port
# PS/2 mouse port
# Seven USB 2.0 ports (four on rear panel, two on front panel, one in media reader)
# Two IEEE-1394 connectors (both on front-panel)
# One parallel port
# One VGA monitor port
# One RJ-45 LAN port
# Eight audio jacks (six on rear panel, two on front panel)
# Add-In Card Slots One PCI-Express ×16
# One PCI-E ×1
# Two PCI Conventional
# Drive Bays Two external 3.5-inch
# Two external 5.25-inch
# Two internal 3.5-inch
# Input Devices Multimedia keyboard
# USB optical mouse
Speakers Amplified, USB powered stereo speakers
Dimensions (H × W × D) 15.4 × 7.3 × 17.9 inches
Weight 23.5 lbs (computer only, no packaging)

I want to make improvements so it will run decently. Also I hope the process do not take more than 3 hours. =/.

Thank you.

the biggest thing your system is lacking in is the gfx card which i guess you know by now, you're running off integrated video.

there are a number of things you could do to improve your rig, biggest determining factor in that will be how much you want to spend though.

and no, replacing a psu is not hard and won't (well shouldn't) take 3 hours to do so. to remove the old one you would unplug all the connections first, take out a few screws in the back of the case that hold the actual unit in place. then just remove the old one and put in the new one, screw it in and plug in all the connections. that's it.

with your budget, one thing you could is start to rebuild your system.

from your current pc, reuse your cpu, ram, hdd and optical drive and use them with these new parts:

BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G ATX AMD Motherboard
+
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

this motherboard would allow you to use your current cpu, and it would also allow you to upgrade your cpu (when you have some more $$ to spend), including amd's latest 6-core cpus.

you wouldn't need a 600w psu to run these parts, it just happens to come in a combo deal with this board with a $45 discount.

ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
for the money, this would be a good card and you would notice a heck of an improvement over your integrated video.

APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
and a new case to support the motherboard. not the best but it should get the job done better than that crappy gateway.

those new parts there should come out to about $257 + $10 shipping on the case (and you can get a total of $60 back in rebates)

Cool thank you. Though I'm going to start slow by first adding the graphics card. It says its PCI-E 2.0. But my comp specs only state PCI-E. Will it work? Also I could not find the WATT the Video Card requires.

ok, then i would suggest this card then.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
performance wise, it's pretty much on par with the one i listed before, but it's a newer gen card. it also has a blower style cooler which i think you should go for since it looks pretty cramped inside the gateway case and it will exhaust its heat outside through the back.

along with a psu, this will do.
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

according to your system spec's, it says your board has a pci-e x16 slot, that's the slot you need so it would work. doesn't matter if the cards says "2.0", they are backwards compatible. aslong as you have a x16 slot, you're good.

Alright man. Thanks I am going to go to my local micro-center to see if they have the card you suggested. Also going to pick up 2 gigs of RAMM as well and the PSU. Its all the plug and play right, I'm assuming only drivers needed are for the video card. I only got like a couple hours to do this because parents don't like me "messing" with tech, I've had bad history with it. That's why I'm nervous. Also the PSU should fit? Think they are universal.

yes you'll need the appropriate drivers for the card, ther are no drivers for a psu.

yes the psu should fit. if you go in-store, you might not find that exact psu so if you need to, look for a different psu from brands like antec, corsair, seasonic, ocz, pc power & cooling, silverstone, more here.

additionally, if you can, look for a modular psu. it's not necessary but it should help keep cable clutter in your case to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom