Upgrading a friend's PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrod

In Runtime
Hey guys, I need your help. A friend was gonna blow a bunch of money paying a company to upgrade her comp...so now I'm doing it. The problem is her comp is pretty old and crappy and her budget is low. She wants a new processor and a new vid card if possible. And her budget is $150..

Here's what she has now:

proc: AMD Duron 800mhz
mobo: MicroStar 6330
gpu: Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro (i think)
ram: 640mb sdram (133mhz)
hd: 19gb (lol)

Ok, so what's the best you can to it with $150??? I was thinking maybe a cheap processor/mobo combo deal, but then the ram might not work and 640 seems like a lot to throw away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sad to say but her best option is probably to save up her money and invest in a new computer.
:(

He memory is quite decent for an old computer but for newer apps and hardware it might suffer a bit.

If she has a standard ATX or micro-ATX, you can probably get a nice Sempron bundle, which might be OK for that price.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Would a sempron even run on that?

Can anybody else think of any possible options? I don't wanna have to tell her she's S.O.L. yet. Someone here must know old computers :p

ricanflow said:
But the 7300le uses turbocache, which takes away from the system memory.

The one that I posted doesn't use turbocache :p

Some of them use turbocashe, some of them don't :p

k, the gpu looks good. but about the motherboard. is PC Chips any good? i've never heard of them.

The mobo is manufactured by ECS, but its branded as pc chips. Ive had mine for a year, running stable. Just make sure all drivers are up to date and you wont have any problems. Also the cpu fan is pretty loud, i would recommened you change the fan if you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom