Upgrading family PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetlow_63

Baseband Member
I am currently being asked to upgrade my family's PC for them.

Currently it has a 1.8Ghz P4, 256Mb Ram (SD I think) and a GeForce 2 MX (AGP 4x).

Is it possible to run an AGP 8x on the same slot?
What's the easiest way of discovering what socket processor the PC will need?
Would I need to upgrade the PSU? (Currently using the one that came with it from Dell).
How can I find out how much more RAM it will take?

Bearing in mind that I don't know what motherboard we are using - finding this out would also be useful.

You well have to call dell and see how u can upgrade it and how much its gonna be however usually the APG video cards can run in 4x/8x slots so it should work jsut find however u might not get hte best proformance out of it useing a 4x slot but it should be better then what you have now.

Post you make and model and we'll see if we can get the specs on it.

Heres the tech specs http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4300/specs.htm#1101572

According to that, the maximum RAM that it will take is 512mb.
Power supply is 250W, i dont know how much AGP cards need so i cant help you there. Yes, AGPx8 will work in 4x but only at 4x speeds, not a huge difference between the two but you will notice a difference if you upgrade.
Im thinking that you have a 478 pentium 4 but im not entirely sure. Download cpu-z and tell us what you have.

Yeah, it is Socket 478.

What would you say is the best way to upgrade it cost effectively?

I was thinking an 8x gpu, as the 4x ones available don't seem to great, another 256mb of RAM and a Celeron 2.8ghz processor. How much difference would that make?

That's the plan, apparently 512 is the max capacity. Which would be a better card - A an ATI 9250/9550 or a GeForce FX 5200/5500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom