Upgrading Dell's Processor/Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isolize

Baseband Member
Hi. I have a two-year-old Dell 2400 on a Celeron processor at 2.4 GHz. A GB of RAM helps the computer's speed, but I think upgrading the processor is finally in order.

I, first of all, want to make sure upgrading it is worth it. I run a lot of memory-consuming programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. simultaneously without rebooting for days at a time. Opening these programs takes at least two minutes each, the first problem. The computer has also become fairly slow when it comes to iamge processing - When working with a 2000x4000 pixel image in Photoshop, even resizing it will take abouta minute depending on the change being made.

So would a new processor be likely to help out here?

If so,what processor? I'm thinking if going to AMD, as I've been hearing that they're really beginning to overthrow Intel in many areas and come for less money. The most I'd be able to afford right now is probably an Anthon 64, such as this one. That's about the right price for me.

Lastly, bout the motherboard - my main concern. Is a new Anthon 64 (or or other processor) likely to be compatible with my two-year-old Dell motherboard, with integrated graphics? getting a new motherboard is fair enough, but I won't if I don't have to. My curent motherboard also has a PC2700 512MB RAM chip and a 512MB PC3200. I know one is slowing down the other, I'll see about replacing the slower one, but will these chips work on a new motherboard should I need one?

I know that's a huge pile of questions, but I'd be really appreciative if you could try your best to answer some of them. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

No, an Athlon 64 will NOT be compatible with your current motherboard. Furthermore, because of the way Dell designs their cases and PSUs, it is unlikely that a new motherboard will fit in your case.

My suggestion: scrap all the parts you can out of the Dell, and build a new system.

macdude425 said:

My suggestion: scrap all the parts you can out of the Dell, and build a new system.

I second.

With what you are doing, I would NOT buy a celeron. I would also buy an aftermarket video card. A 6200 or so would be enough for what your doing.

I would just build a whole new system from scratch. You will want 2gb of RAM also. But if you don't want to spend the money, then just upgrade the RAM to 2GB, and clear out your HDD, you shouyld notice a dignificant difference in performance.

Alright, more or less what I suspected. I'll attach an Everest report on my hardware. I know I can get a cheap case, and a motherboard isn't too bad price-wise.

I've read quite a bit about memory and how much you need - I don't think I should need 2GB. I know I need to format C:, I haven't in a while and there are a lot of unnecessary processed I need to completely sweep off my machine. I will do that before upgrading anything.

As far as processors go, are there any recommendations? I do like the sound of the 64, but you guys may have better suggestions. I'm trying to keep the processor under $225 or so, considering the other stuff I have to get.

If you have them, I'd also appreciate any recommendations on relatively cheap motherboards and possibly graphic cards (keeping in mind that I do absolutely no serious gaming).

Thanks a lot so far, I'll still consider any other advice anybody else can provide. :)

The report (by Everest) on my Chipset is attached.

Attachments

• report.txt
    21.1 KB · Views: 37
macdude425 said:

So all of those will be compaticlbe with eachother?

I can actually get a solid 256mb Nvidia video card for about $100, I'll get its specifications and see if it would work on that MB. Thanks again.

Alright, thanks. So an AMD 64 is what will suit my needs? Should I consider putting in more money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom