Upgrading DDR Ram - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Upgrading DDR Ram

Hey all, I recently posted about upgrading my ram and video card, I have since opened up my computer and realized I have 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDR slots for ram, I thought when looking up the facts on my motherboard that I had 4 SDRAM slots and almost bought new SDRAM when now I realize I just need DDR ram, this is a picture of what the slots look like, the black ones are my SDRAM and DDR is in red http://2xod.com/articles/SDRAM%20vs%...M%20Keying.jpg now what kind of ram should I buy for my computer?! I want to get it of NCIX.com but I'm unsure of what to buy, my friend can get anything through them and wants to grab some for me but I want to know exactly what I should buy, both SDRAM slots are being used so I just need the DDR, please help, muchly appreciated. Also, I am getting either a 256mb or 512 mb video card and wanted to know if I need to upgrade my power supply or anything to be able to run more ram and the video card. And I know alot of you may say I just need a better computer but I have very little money so this is the best I can do for now, thank you all!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Upgrading DDR Ram

What's your PSU wattage? And what type of video card slots do you have on you motherboard? EDIT - Oh and 1 more thing almost forgot xD what's your budget?

Sorry couldn't help on the ram problem don't know, much.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey sorry, i don't know what kind of power supply I have, how could I find that out? and it's an brown AGP slot I have, so i would imagine AGP 8x, and for a little more info i have a amd athlon 1700 XP

Motherboard Name PCChips M825ULR
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmm well what's the model of your computer and who makes it, dell, HP etc.. What do you expect to do with these upgrades gaming?.. Working?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey I posted my PC specs, I had wanted the upgrades for gaming mostly, but I just took apart my computer again and realized I only have AGP 4x, and everest says my agp is 4x or 6x or somehting, and the as far as I know the graphics cards for AGP 4x are like 64mb and stuff and just not upto what I need for games, I'm really really disapointed because I had really wanted to upgrade to be able to play even some of the older games out there I love, like GTA san andreas and some of the need for speed series, but it looks like I'm basically out of luck, because I take it you can't use a AGP 8x in a 4x slot, im really disappointed, I need a better computer but I just simply can't afford a newer one, even used, I'll just have to save my pennies I suppose, or hope for santa, he does exist right?!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Lol I was put in that situation also I had a slimline and 85% of the cards didn't fit on my case. Try and save up for a new build atleast u can lol I am waaaaaaaaaaay too young for that trust me.

EDIT - if you were to save a bit how much you think you can accumulate, about $500 makes a good build also $600.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

use this

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - About Crucial:Media Toolbox

and i think that 8x agp cards are backwards compatible so you should be able to use those cards. what is your budget for a new card?

Closed Thread