Upgrading CPU. AM2+ not compatible with AM3? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Upgrading CPU. AM2+ not compatible with AM3?

Howdy, and thanks for the forum to help my dilemma.

I am looking to upgrade my archaic Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64x2 processor to something i can run high end games with. I am looking at newegg.com for compatible processors for my motherboard Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

...and i cant seem to find any processors that utilize an AM2+ socket like my motherboard has...it says CPU type "CPU Type - Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2", but i am unable to find an Phenoms with AM2+ socket type. Everything seems to be AM3.

Does AM2+ mean that i can use anything above AM2? (ie. AM3, AM4, etc.), or do i specifically need AM2 socket type?

or is it time to get a motherboard that supports AM3?

I am hoping to get 4 cores, or maybe 6.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Default Re: Upgrading CPU. AM2+ not compatible with AM3?

Am2+ is a socket type. It goes Am2, am2+, and then am3.

ASUS Motherboards Now Supports AMD AM3 Processors Check it bud your board is on this list.

If you update your bios you can have support with these processors. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M3A78-T

For gaming I would look into a Phenom II x4. You don't need 6 cores to game.

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
Am2+ is a socket type. It goes Am2, am2+, and then am3.

ASUS Motherboards Now Supports AMD AM3 Processors Check it bud your board is on this list.

If you update your bios you can have support with these processors. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M3A78-T

For gaming I would look into a Phenom II x4. You don't need 6 cores to game.
+1 on that. A Phenom II x4 or an Athlon II x4 would be a very nice step up for you.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the insight, Abstract and Trotter.
Actually, great news...I can upgrade to a nice Proc w/out getting a new motherboard.

Why not go with a 6x core now, and not worry about it later?
I don't want to have to upgrade again for at least another 2-3 years, and the rate at which games are requiring more and more from the hardware; i don't want to worry about it for a while.

side question, am i going to have problems, or should i worry about power supply?
Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply <---case and power. Antec w/ 500w supply.
I'll look into it more, but i think the specs of the processors provide how much power you need....fan power, maybe too?

side question #2, am i going to be able to update the bios post CPU installation? my computer will run on the old bios for me to download and install the newer bios?

Thanks for the responses, mucho appreciato!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Fader View Post
Thanks for the insight, Abstract and Trotter.
Actually, great news...I can upgrade to a nice Proc w/out getting a new motherboard. Exactly you hit the secret jackpot with this one.

Why not go with a 6x core now, and not worry about it later?
I don't want to have to upgrade again for at least another 2-3 years, and the rate at which games are requiring more and more from the hardware; i don't want to worry about it for a while. Ok, here's the deal. You don't and probably won't need 6 cores. Games as of today have made very little stride in hardware demands in the past year or so thanks to consoles. Regardless most games today fail to even harness 3 or more cores so technically a quad core is future proofing BUT if you have the money and you really want to go Hex-core... GO FOR IT! I can't tell you if games will or won't use hex cores a year from now. No one knows for sure. Long story short it's your call but right now you won't use anymore than quad to its potential.

side question, am i going to have problems, or should i worry about power supply?
Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply <---case and power. Antec w/ 500w supply.
I'll look into it more, but i think the specs of the processors provide how much power you need....fan power, maybe too? Antec Earthwatts EA-500 500W<- That's what you have and IIRC from what the guys here on TF have taught me. That's a decent PSU. I'd only worry about it if your jumping to hex-core and that still depends on your gpu.

side question #2, am i going to be able to update the bios post CPU installation? my computer will run on the old bios for me to download and install the newer bios? No, the update will have to happen before you swap out processors because your mobo will not recognize the new stuff. DO you know how to update a bios? We can help you if you don't.

Thanks for the responses, mucho appreciato!
Answers in red.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Hero View Post
Answers in red.
ASUS has a utility i use for updating the bios, but provides no information on the bios updates and what it supports.
2 months ago i updated the bios to the most current option (they do provide the date)...hopefully that is sufficient.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
ASUS has a utility i use for updating the bios, but provides no information on the bios updates and what it supports.
2 months ago i updated the bios to the most current option (they do provide the date)...hopefully that is sufficient.
If you updated to the most current 2 months ago, you should be fine. But just for kicks what was the date on the BIOS.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bios: 9/21/2010 - 1907

So, i guess i'll whip out this question, just for giggles. I'm sure i could search threads for an answer, but i guess it's more of a forum opinion i am looking for...
I am still running XP on my machine because there was so many downsides to Vista as a gamer...and i am just so comfortable with XP.

I just don't want issues running games because of an OS...and so many games out there support XP.
I don't think it eats up RAM like Vista did (but i could be wrong), and i heard you can run games with a "compatibility mode" somewhat comparable to what XP offered; for games that don't support Win7. Anyone else in here going to be clutching a copy of WinXP in their hands while wheezing away their last dying words on their deathbed?

Should i upgrade to Win7? if so, what are the pros/cons? (gaming wise)
Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Quote:
Bios: 9/21/2010 - 1907

So, i guess i'll whip out this question, just for giggles. I'm sure i could search threads for an answer, but i guess it's more of a forum opinion i am looking for...
I am still running XP on my machine because there was so many downsides to Vista as a gamer...and i am just so comfortable with XP.

I just don't want issues running games because of an OS...and so many games out there support XP.
I don't think it eats up RAM like Vista did (but i could be wrong), and i heard you can run games with a "compatibility mode" somewhat comparable to what XP offered; for games that don't support Win7. Anyone else in here going to be clutching a copy of WinXP in their hands while wheezing away their last dying words on their deathbed?

Should i upgrade to Win7? if so, what are the pros/cons? (gaming wise)
Vista: Take it out of the equation. It is, was, and always will be garbage. :P

XP will game fine. All new games still support XP as of now but It may not stay that way for long. Windows 7 is fantastic for gaming and everything else. I have Home, Pro, and Ultimate on several machines in my house each for their own task. I game on my machine with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Pros:
Compatibility mode, you can run just about every game ever made for PC on Win7

Cons:
None that I can think of...

Now for Pros and Cons besides gaming the list goes on... and on.. Honestly, I would upgrade. With support for XP getting cut and the many advantages of 7 it's worth it.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, so i got this bad-boy right here...Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

...from newegg.com.

WE shouldnt run into unforseen issues, right?
i did check the list of supported CPU's for my motherboard, and this one was on there.

given the specs from my current desktop...
Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129024
HD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb&#47;s 3.5&#34; Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD Burner - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD&#43;R 8X DVD&#43;RW 16X DVD&#43;R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-S223F - CD / DVD Burners
Vid card - Newegg.com - XFX PVT98GYDLH GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-T AM2&#43;&#47;AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory - Newegg.com - OCZ Gold Edition 4GB &#40;2 x 2GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 &#40;PC2 8500&#41; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G10664GK

...i should be good, yeah?
update my bios, tear apart my case and just drop this new CPU in there...yeah?

I'm nervous! hahaa.

Closed Thread