Upgrading computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

noxarcana

In Runtime
There is another person that wants me to help him put together some parts to upgrade his computer and that is why i am using 2 different threads. I have posted this computer before a while ago, but now i got 200$ us to upgrade it. People laughed before and i know they will again but here we go :).

Socket A (462) - ECS manufacturer and K7S5A model # ( i did not make the computer so i do not know exact name of it, from cpu-z)
Amd Athlon XP @ 1.24 Ghz
Nvidia Geforce fx 5200
DDR memory (1x256 MB)

I do now know what will help it the most without building a new one. He just wants me to upgrade it with 100-200 us dollars. Any idea on this one? He likes to play game

The motherboard will run up to a 2600+/266FSB CPU. It has an AGP 4x slot. It can only handle up to 1 gig of RAM.

He will probably get the most performance out of more RAM. A couple of sticks of 512 will max him out, but it will also make almost everything run smoother.

1.24GHz? What model is that? My old 2000+ was a 1.6, so he's running a really slow CPU. If you can find a better one, go for it.

With a system that old, you can only do so mush.

Yea, thanks for the help on both of my posts. Any links to ram that you would have approved of about 10 years ago :) lol.

About the processor i really dont know, i looked for it on newegg and google but could not find any stores selling one that slow, i highly doubt that it is underclocked so i thought that it was wierd.

Ok thanks for that advice. What would be better..Spend the extra 80-100 dollars on

1) a video card(Not sure what kind it is, pci or whatever)
or
2) cpu(it is socket A though so i do not know how good they get)

Can anyone tell me which one would have a better effect on a computer? A better processor or a better video card?

That's a toss up.

The comp is pretty old, and the card in it is old as well. A better card would help out some, but then the CPU will be a bottleneck. And it works the other way around.

Go for the graphics. He can always get a CPU on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom