Upgrading Compaq Presario... Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRoo

Baseband Member
You could have guessed by the title, I'm not one for knowing the details of computers.

The Dilemma:
I'm going to be getting a "lump sum" of money here in about 8 days, and I will use $450.00 for upgrading my desktop.
I have the basic specs of my computer that I managed to gather from "dxdiag". I need to know exactly what Video Card, Processor, RAM, and Power Supply (if needed) I can get. I'm aware that I can't just go out and choose any old Video Card or Processor, that's why I ask all of you.

Some Known Facts:
1. I DO have a PCI Express slot for an upgraded video card. I'm not sure exactly what TYPE of PCI Express it is, but I'm sure that I have one.
2. I need my computer to be able to play higher-end games such as Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, high graphic Java games, etc. I don't mind if I can't play them in "max graphics" mode, Just as long as I can play them with playable Frames Per Second.

My Computer Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Motherboard Chipset: NVIDIA nForce MCP61P Chipset
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: AY026AA-ABA CQ5300F
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300, ~2.3GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1918MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

tl;dr
With the above specs, and a $450.00 limit, exactly which type of RAM, Video Card, Processor, and Power Supply (if needed) can I get?

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE:Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.

AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

Two DDR2 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
Supported DIMM types:

PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Max of 4GB (2 x 2GB)

You have a 250W power supply.

Try these:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX645WFGMBOX

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT

Newegg.com - MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the fast reply, and detailed response!

However I have one question...
That video card you listed above, it's PCI Express 2.1.

My computer supports that? Are you sure?
I know I have a PCI Express slot, however I wasn't sure it was 2.1.

I will be ordering all 4 of these products in 7-8 days... I just need to be re-assured that these are all compatible with my current (stock) rig.

I just noticed the video card that Trot mentioned is 1.5" thick. It will not fit. Im looking in my desktop right now, and the thickness of the video card will get in the way of the RAM.
Any other ideas on a video card, and any way of clearing up my confusion about the processor? lol

I found this video card on NewEgg... Is it compatible with my rig?
I think it may fit...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom