upgrading compaq presario 2100 laptop cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothergoose

Solid State Member
Well i have a compaq presario 2100 laptop with a 1.6 ghz mobile intel celeron processor in it and i would like to change it to a 2.4 ghz. But when looking at the specs of the two processors i found that the step is different betweent he two. does this matter? The 1.6 ghz is a c1 step and the 2.4 is a d1 step. Is the 2.4 compatible with my motherboard? also i noticed that the thermal power was 5 watts more. this means it will just run little hotter correct? other than those two things everything else is the same. Will it work?

thanks in advance,
Mg

The laptop is designed to cool the 1.8ghz processor. A 2.4ghz processor produces a lot more heat, and will cause problems.

If you feel like getting a new one, and having your laptop melt and catch on fire, then be my guest.

Whether or not you can take the CPU out, I don't advise that you upgrade the CPU in your laptop.

ah i see what your talking about. i had also thought about that, but i was thinking about making a better heatsink. the way they made this thing doesnt look like it doesnt work to well. i was also thinking of putting an extra fan into the floppy port wich has nothing in it to give it a bit better cooling. but as far as the stepping diference would it work?

The stepping difference shouldnt matter, If you want you can put the CPU in and jsut boot it up real quick to see if it works, then maybe get some AS5 or something, that fan might help but I don't know about a fan that would fit in there.

i was looking at some pci slot fans that i thought might fit. and i have acsess to a cnc machine so i think i might try and make a good heatsink for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom