Upgrading a common stock computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykidguy

Beta member
Hey guys, i bought an AsusTek stock comp (model: CM5570-AP003) and i want to upgrade it's graphics card and power supply. the graphics card i picked out fits the slot and my system can run it but i'm wondering if the power supply i picked out is good enough or would it be too big for my case.

my comp specs:
6gb ram
500+ gb hard drive
Pentium dual-core 2.6 Ghz
250w PSU -- 300 peak<--- current PSU
stock cooling system
Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

the graphics card i picked out is the EVGA Geforce 9800 GT. and the PSU that i wanted to upgrade to is BFG 650w. i dont know whether or not if i'm clear enough or left out some info, i'm still learning about hardware.

so please, anyone think i'm all set to go and upgrade or should i think about buying another graphics card/ PSU? also the thing i'm most worried about is whether or not my new PSU will fit into my comp casing

thanx for the help

The 9800 requires 450W so the 650W will be fine.

From what I could find the PSU should fit.

However, there are better cards than the 9800 out there for about the same money (unless you already have the card).

thanks a lot for the confirmation, i really needed someone to tell me. what other cards would u think would be good for me? my pci slot is x16 so cards that are too large probably won't fit

hmm, i checked out the site and i really want to get a geforce card. i heard that the EVGA geforce 9800gt was pretty good and could even run Crysis on high settings. so i figured if it could run crysis it could run pretty much anything else that i would play. i don't mind ATI cards since my card right now is nothing compared to those anyway, but since i'm buying a new card i might as well get a geforce.

also i was wondering since the card may get a little hot, if my common cooling system (just a stock fan) would be enough to cool it

If you want a geforce look through that list and find one that's a good value for the money. Otherwise you're just throwing your money away.

I understand why you would be partial to nVidia. I really like ATI and chances are good that I would buy ATI over nVidia, but I am not going to throw my money away.

That 9800GT is old. It doesn't even have DX 10 support. The card is slow, has limited feature set, and uses more power than some of the top-of-the-line cards.

If I were you I'd get something more recent.

^Ummm, all 8 and 9 series cards are dx10. Uyou might mean dx11, but that ain't doing to good yet.

The 9800 is still a decent card, fiting right inbetween th gt240 and the gts250. Remember, "old' isn't always bad, especially with how nvidia renames cards.

As for power consumption, its no way near the high end cards....... no where!
ASUS ENGTX285 TOP GeForce GTX 285 Video Card | Benchmark,Review,ASUS ENGTX285 TOP,GeForce GTX 285,Video Card,GT200,ASUS ENGTX285 TOP GeForce GTX 285 Video Card Gaming Performance Benchmark Graphics Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom