upgrading.. changing mobo and cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjukken

In Runtime
as far as i understand. When changing mobo and cpu the recomended thing is too format C and instal winxp. Not try to repeir.

I asume i can move everything to my other hdd's.. (got 3 sata and 1 pata)

make sure i got all key's pw's and instaled software must reinstal. cant just move it betwin hdd's and ekspekt it to work propper.

One told me to use norton ghost.. But me thinking that wud just put the old settings for the old mobo and cpu back. and will prob screw thing up a litle.

Noticed a new amd socket.. is this gona stay.. or?

AM2 its called. prices on athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 is low on AM2
and this store dosent even have 939 athlon 64 3800 any more..
is 939 out?

you are correct. when you change out the mobo/cpu, you have to reformat/reinstall the OS. you can move all your data prior to doing that though, to save it. only one drive will be formatted for the new OS.

939 isn't "out" per'se but it will get dated, just like al the other stuff in the past. but AM2 is the newest AMD products out.

ok.. then my bro gona still end up with a old pc..

:) Im uppgrading his and mine.. he already got a 939 socket.. and just ordered the stores last 64 3800 to him.

gues i have to get AM2 for my self.. Tho AM2 dosemnt appers to be any pricier :)

Then ill prob upgrad c: drive too. I only have 34G now
Perhaps i can make a smal backup puter of the parts i take out :) got an old case just laing around.. And i cud even try Linux on it..hows linux and sata? prob better than windows.... blah now im just writing what im thinking here..

not really. it's a common misconception. i like to think of it more as being parallel to DDR rather than above it. it's just a different type of memory that tries to provide better performance with higher frequencies but at the cost of high "latencies". now with AMD it provides an insignificant performance improvement because the memory controller is built into the processor instead of the motherboard (as with Intel). that means that because the memory controller has virtually no delay in communicating with the processor that the higher frequency memory has no effect as data is moved in and out of memory quickly no matter what frequency it is

what happens if you don't reformat?

I took a hard drive out of my old pc and put it in the dell my parents bought me. (it worked great)

Now my sis has that pc and i have 2 custom gaming ones that i built.

Dell sux in money from people who don't know anything about computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom