Upgrading or building a new pc entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardixan

Baseband Member
Due to problems before, I didn't get to go through with upgrading this system and find that some of the suggested parts (key parts) are no longer sold on Newegg. If no one minds, could someone suggest a system build again? My budget is $400-700 (preferably lower end of the spectrum).

The PC I currently have, un-upgraded since being bought is, HP Pavilion Media Center a1473w Desktop PC -  Product Specifications 

Would it be cheaper to upgrade the current system (if so, with what?) or to build a new system entirely, possibly reusing the current tower and drive.

My aim is to use it as a gaming PC and hopefully run a few older games like Lord of the Rings Online and Hitman Blood Money at maxed settings. Hopefully, though it's more of a hoped-for bonus than necessity, perhaps run games like Eve Online and Crysis at medium to high settings.

If it helps, the system originally suggest by Trotter, in entirety was:

Trotter said:
The good news is that your motherboard can handle a better processor... the bad news is that is can only go up to a Pentium D dual-core, not a Core2Duo. But that is an improvement, anyway.

HP also uses off-the-shelf parts, so you could replace your PSU with no problem.

Your motherboard can also handle 2 gigs of RAM (2 x 1 gig).

Basically, you could pop in a better CPU for $125:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-LIE-L9E1-GP 95mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Grab 2 gig of RAM for $40 (no need for performance RAM):
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - OEM

Snag a better PSU for $70:
Newegg.com - FSP Group AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply 110-120/ 220-240V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, TUV, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

And, of course, a faster card for $180:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR Superclocked GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

With shipping you'd be around $400, so you could spring for a hard drive and a case fan, too.

The problem is, some of those parts are no longer sold.

ok lets revamp this :D

ok start with an Intel Core 2 Duo e2180, Arctic MX-2 Thermal paste, the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Cooler, I think its like $19 now and the rest is fine

Could you repost the list with changes and links? Or can I find it simply by searching the parts names on newegg? It's meant to replace

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

right? Rest the same?

I can't find that processor anywhere on newegg, save in a few pre-built pcs.

Actually seems I'm having trouble connecting to secure.newegg.com in general.

maybe your firewall gave you a prompt to connect to "Secure.Newegg.com" and you may have hit deny?

yes it would, boards today don't have that many IDE ports, so you would have to use that

Strange. Anyone know why the shopping cart and wishlist work in internet explorer, but not in mozilla firefox?

try cleaning up the cache of Firefox, along with Cookies and Browsing History

Most of the website loads without any lag whatsoever, just like every other website. When I attempt to login, add to wishlist or add to cart, or view my cart, however, it simply times out or resets. I'm not sure what the problem as is and would like input based on observations if anyone knows what it may be.

1.) Sometimes, not all the time, my antivirus prompts me with:

'Firewall alert! Intrusion attempt detected: NMAP TCP Scan:
Firewall has blocked this traffic.'
Direction: Inbound
Services: TCP High Ports in

It seems to be in connection with trying to connect to any link involving secure.newegg.com, while the general newegg website works with zero problems. I time out or reset when I try to add to wishlist, add to cart, login or view my cart.

- I've attempted turning off intrusion prevention, my firewall in entirety and my antivirus entirely, including all three at the same time. It still doesn't work

- I've tried doing the above, as well as restarting both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Neither browser seems to work.

2.) I have, however, noticed that if I quickly close Firefox or IE, whether my firewall and av are on or off, then go to the newegg website immediately upon restarting Firefox/IE. I can add one or two items to my cart/wishlist or move to the login/registry page. A minute later, however, the problem has returned. By the time I get to the third item, it has started again. This happened about six times, so it and everything else noted above are multi-tested and repeatable.

I'm at the end of my wits; does anyone know what's wrong?

Update:

I tried using another computer in the house on the same connection, but without any AV, and I have the same problems as on this PC. I tried resetting the caches and cookies, as well as browser history for my browsers on both computers and I still have the same problem. I doubt it's adware or spyware, as I run Ad-Aware quite frequently. I'm 99% sure I'm clean; it's a connectivity issue with, specifically, secure.newegg.com, but I'm not sure what or why.

Furthermore, at the moment, the rest of newegg.com isn't working for me either...what the heck is it with this one website?

I had problems with Newegg at the beginning of last year, because my ISP sent us new DSL modems. They had built-in firewalls in them, and it was blocking me from visiting Newegg login pages, or anything really beyond the front page and a few other areas of the site. Had to end up calling my ISP, and they reconfigured my modem; everything works just fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom