Upgrading. Better suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hi. Going to upgrade my system over a period of now 'til next summer, one piece at a time... Hey, I only make 60 bucks a week! Jeez.

Specs right now are:

Socket 478 Via P4MA (With leaky capacitors. Uh oh.)
Intel Celeron 1.8GHz with 128kb L2 Cache
640MB 266mhz DDR RAM (128 + 512)
No video card, on board
No sound card, on board
LG 16X DVD +/- RW DL, CD-RW
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW
120 GB IDE Hard Drive
450 Watt A-Link PSU
No case fans (Lmao...)

Doesn't run hot, usually around 30-40 degrees. Can barely run any new-ish games whatsoever.

In this order, I think I'm going to upgrade:

Two Thermaltake 80mm Silent Cat case fans

GEForce FX5200 AGP (Could change...)

Cheapish motherboard, probably a Jetway or MSI. Gotta' support a 533mhz FSB atleast.

Celeron Processor, around 2.5 to 3 GHz, atleast 256kb L2 cache

Cheapest Enermax PSU I can find.

Throw away the 128mb stick (no, not literally), get another 512 for 1 gig.

I won't be doing heavy gaming. And I have a LOT of other stuff to be spending money on along with this, so it'll be a slow progress.

Anyone know if any of these upgrades are unneccesary?

Go with the mobo first if your capacitors are leaking. See if you can get one that supports dual-channel memory.

Then Graphics card (6800GS)

Case fan.

P4 CPU (the onboard cache DOES make a big difference)

Antec PSU (or equivalent)

Second stick of 512

After market HS/F

Only reason I'm going with the video card first is because I'm using on-board video right now, and a lot of the mobo's I've been seeing that I like don't have on-board video, only AGP.

And the 6800GS costs 200 bucks more. I'm not doing much gaming at all. Only games like Soldier Of Fortune 2 and Halo. Nothing like BF2 or anything...

Go for a 6200 AGP or Radeon X1300 Pro AGP when it is released, rather than the FX 5200. The FX 5200 it outdated and wont even run some of the games out today. The 6200 and X1300 at least run the games although dont expect very high settings at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom