Upgrading for better performance on World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepSearch

Beta member
Ok I am currently in the process of upgrading the system below.

I have heard on other forums that similar systems run at max resoulution with frame rates that are acceptable (Not less than 15). I am wondering if I could get an opinion on this.

Also th other question I had was when the 7900GT was installed a dialog box came up saying it's performance was reduced because of a power supply issue (something to do with an auxillary). As far as I am aware there is no connector on the card for an additional connector nor for that matter should iut be neccesary as the PCI_E should beable to draw sufficen tpower from the slot. Can anyone shed some light on this????????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACER Aspire T630:
1 x 512 DDR2 533Mhz RAM (4 slots on the board) (*I am adding a 512K Corsair 553Mhz stick next week to bring total to 1GB)
Micro ATX case
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 516 (2.93 GHz./EMT64T)
*WinFast PX7900 GT TDH
80 GB HDD SATA (7200 rpm)
DVD COMBO drive
Integrated Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 (LAN Built-in)
Integrated Realtek ALC880 Audio Codec with S/PDIF Output
350W Generic PSU
*denotes mod from original.

just because its pci-express it doesn't mean that it doesn't need a connector.. it may or may not need a connector.. read the manual! (usually there's an included adaptor if your powersupply doesn't have a pci-express connector..)

for WoW.. it would be a good idea to have at LEAST 1 gb of ram.. so adding that 512mb stick shoulda been done long ago...

your PSU could be crap. get a high quality one... it'll cost you like $50.. and with the 7900gt, you should get really great frame rates.

Like I said in the original post as far as i could see on the card there was not socket for a 4pin molar connector. But I may need to check it again when I crack the puppy open to finish the upgardes for my friend.

Which brings me to my next question what sort of performance deterioration would be experienced if the additional power into the card was not connected vs connected (if indeed it requires a connection)? This is more in the way of a general question for my continuing education in all things CMPUTR.

i don't really know...

but when you do open up your comp, check your power supply. read the wattage, the amperage on the rails, etc.. give details.. we can tell you if your PSU is the problem (the fact that its generic is a sign right there... honestly, i wouldn't risk such high end parts (like the 7900gt) with a generic psu.. there is a chance it could fry it..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom