Upgrading an Acer PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the power supply, as I said before, I would recommend FSP (Fortron Source). Another good one, is Antec.

The graphic card. I'm not sure if it's the same situation over there, in the UK, but the HD3850 doesn't cost much more. And it's a much more powerful card than the 8600GT.

Do you need a CPU cooler? You would only need to get one if you're going to overclock, but since you have a retail motherboard, you won't be able to. That is, unless you're CPU is hotter than usual.

Yeah my CPU atm is about 50 degrees and I will have a look into those HD3850's now, thanks for the help.

EDIT: The HD3850 is twice the price of an 8600 GT so I can't really go for that...

Thanks for the help mate, I think the final draw up will be;

Case - Casecom Black Mid Tower Case - Front Blue LED 120mm Fan - With Side Window - £17.99
CD/DVD - Out of Acer PC - DVD Rewriter Dual Layer
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 5000+ - £70.43
Controller Card - Out of Acer PC
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - £44.06
Hard Disk - Out of Acer PC - Serial ATA-150
Modem - Out of Acer PC
Motherboard - Out of Acer PC - Acer EM61SM/EM61PM
Network Card - Out of Acer PC - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
PSU - FSP SAGA 350P PSU 400W 20 / 24 pin 2x SATA 1x PCI-E - £31.73
RAM - Out of Acer PC - Nanya PC2-6400 (4x 1gb RAM)
Sound Card - Out of Acer PC - 7.1 channel surround
CPU Fan - Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro AMD 64 upto 5000+ , FX-59, Opteron - £13.69

TOTAL = £179.90

if your doing any gaming you will be dissapointed with the card. you'd be better off picking up either a 1950 or 7900/7950 series card for a little bit more then that, if you can fit it into your budget of course.

Is this not a gaming card? I'm not an expert gamer but do enjoy playing things such as CS:S, Half Life 2, Crysis and Call of Duty 4

What quality level could I put Crysis and COD 4 on with that setup?

It is a gaming card, but it is a very low end card as well. The games you are playing now, are good enough for the 8600GT to handle. On Crysis, that card will struggle.

What resolution, are you playing games with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom