Upgrading with $400 budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Upgrading my old computer, since my last computer had to be sold. I need almost everything, except for monitor, case and operating system. Because of the low budget, I have decided to go with AMD, unless you can get me the same performance within the budget. I will be going with a Biostar TA790GX, since I will be able to upgrade to a 940 when I get the money. I've been looking at 2 different processors, which I'm pretty sure I know which one will get recommended. I've been looking at the 7750BE, and a 6000 (65nm - 89W). I have chosen the OCZ HPC Reapers 2x2GB. Still deciding on the graphics card, which will most likely be ATI, such as the 4850. Also need a PSU, which I have had a lot of people recommend the RP500. As for the hard drives, and optical drives, those will be determined after I get the basic setup completed.

Stay away from the RP500 unless you want to change out the fan.

The RP's are decent little psu's but with in a month the fan will either get loud as **** or completely stop all together.

I had to change out the fan in my RP600 and it was only 2 weeks old :mad:

get the 7750 over the 6000
7750>6400>6000

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/x2-6400be-vs-x2-7750be-195357/

as for the rest, be sure to get a high quality psu

and what kind of case are you going to be re-using.

some of the most overlooked aspects of building a machine is good airflow.
without good airflow, you can run into some serious problems while running newer tech.

Thanks for the link, I tried searching everywhere for a comparison thread. I'm going to jump on a craigslist deal that I found, which will get me half off on the price of a 7750. The case is an old Soyo case. It has been modded for more air flow in the front and back. 2 80mm fans in front, and 3 80mm fans in the rear. Also has a single exhaust fan right near the CPU heatsink and fan, not sure if that will be true with a new motherboard, but I have extra lexan, so it doesn't matter. By saying 'quality PSU', are you inferring that the Rosewill in not quality? I definitely don't want to skimp on a power supply, but I don't keep up on PSU brands. I could probably find a PC Power & Cooling, which is a brand I trust.

Stay away from the RP500 unless you want to change out the fan.

The RP's are decent little psu's but with in a month the fan will either get loud as **** or completely stop all together.

I had to change out the fan in my RP600 and it was only 2 weeks old :mad:

Thanks, I was wondering about them, which is why I mentioned them.

I would suggest the Corsair 450VX:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Highly regarded PSU brand. Very efficient. But if you can also find a good deal on a PC P&C like you mentioned earlier, go for that, as they're one of the best.
*EDIT* Speaking of PC P&C:
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Guess you should go for that one, since it's a brand you know already. Has a little more kick to it, than the Corsair 450VX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom