Upgrading 2008 Build - OS Question

CPU depicts what OS you can run, in this case Intel has had 64bit chips since Pentium 4. No worries there.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's site. Easiest way is to simply GOogle the model and it'll be the top site. Did it for you. You'll have to figure out what GPU is in it.

You're limited to DDR2, and can get some cheap DDR2 off Newegg if it requires more. If this is for your parents and all they do is browse the net, do email or whatever then 4GB should be fine. Check periodically to see if they are capping RAM, add as necessary.

Why would he want to do that when it'd be cheaper and better to go Skylake?

Thanks, yeah I think I'll monitor the RAM for now, the DDR2 is really expensive. Should I look for motherboard updates before I set up Win10 on the new hard drive or do it after the new OS and hard drive is installed? Thanks again for the input, glad I don't have to return the 64 bit Win10 version.

The board doesn't have 8 slots, and you'd only need 2 anyways since you already have 4. Filling the other two slots with 1GB sticks would cost 30 bucks and give 6GB which would be enough. You can also get 2GB sticks for the same price. 30 bucks would make it a total of 8GB.

2GB, 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM, Desktop Memory, Memory, Components - Newegg.com

Got it, so it is okay if the slots aren't all the same size? Right now is 2-Empty-2-Empty. Okay if 2-1-2-1? Or if I pick up 2 new 1GB sticks, should I re-order to 2-2-1-1?

Shouldn't matter on that board. I had one and it didn't really care what RAM I had in it. You just have to make sure that in the bios it's set to the speed of the slowest RAM and correct voltage.

Back
Top Bottom