Upgrading to 1155/i7 2600K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joppsta

Baseband Member
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/case-psu-compatibility-249258/index4.html#post1931642

That's the current build I have.. 650W gold rated PSU by corsair (Professional Series) along with EVGA GTX 460.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to upgrade from my i3-550 to the i7 2600K without the need for a new power supply? Would be really... convenient... to say the least.

Going to buy this motherboard and the CPU at these prices

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth Module): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FA8NOQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

There's a lot of fluctuation in the price of the 2600K at the moment though, give or take £10 (it goes from £240 to £230 like every day at the moment so perhaps waiting for a price drop might be a good strategy, those ivy bridges are coming out or ... are out now(?))

Anyway, thanks to the folks that helped me previously, I am thinking this next round will feature some overclocking at a later date but for now I'd be content with the i7 over my i3 by far. I am guessing I would need a better power supply if i want to overclock this in combination with the 460 but I'm intending upgrading that too probably later in the year (along with an SSD most likely)

Thanks,

- Joppsta

Additional Info:

The main reason for upgrade is because I have to render a lot of video footage and it takes around an hour for the i3-550 to do a single video, usually longer than that, these are 30 minute clips usually taken by fraps and shoved through Camtasia Studio 7. I also think the i3 is probably holding back the performance of the computer in general.

Also I may or may not instead of upgrading the single 460 go for SLI'ing a few instead but we'll see, that's not what this thread is about but I figure it's good to plan ahead when you're doing this kind of thing, right?

Any suggestions on the motherboard of choice at all? I'm willing to shell around £200 tops for a new one... if all else fails the £50 can go towards the SSD.

How much extra power do I have to play with if I upgrade like this too? Thanks for the prompt response by the way Slaymate ... you have no idea how much that puts my mind at ease!

I own the ASUS P8P67 EVO and must say if the board you have linked is half as good as my EVO has been you will love it... My 2600k runs at 4.5GHz with only 1.31v. On my MSI P67A-GD80 I couldn't get 4.2GHz..

Your best bet is to look up reviews on the hardware you want, in most cases on mobo reviews they will test its overclocking capability if that is what you are interested in :)

It's recommended to have a 750w 80+ for a setup like that, even if you plan on overclocking.
sig.jpg

Who told you this? My setup running at 5GHz with dual GTX480's only draws 725w?

It's recommended to have a 750w 80+ for a setup like that, even if you plan on overclocking. I didn't know the i7 was so cheap either wow

sig.jpg

This is false.... With an i7 2600k OCed and a 460 you don't need more than a decent brand 650w.. Like a Corsair or Seasonic, or Cooler master.... I think you need to learn/research a little more before trying to give advice...

Just as a sidenote.. I was considering avoiding getting my hands dirty and buying one of these bundles.

Award winning supplier, performance hardware & systems - Scan.co.uk

But I'm not so sure they are good value for money, I mean, I've already got RAM (2x4GB Vengeance) and a cooler (CM Hyper 212). This would work out probably in the region of being £100-£150 more expensive (they really get you by the balls with postage, apparently they classify Scotland as the ....... Islands. It fills me with much rage being a patriotic Scot)

It would be £390 for the parts in the OP right now whereas the OC'd version would be around £530 (so about £120 more) and all I'm getting is the following in my selection (from the "Edge" section) is:

This cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO BK016 CPU Cooler - Scan.co.uk

And a couple sticks of more of the same RAM, bringing me to an unnecessary total of 16GB DDR3. With the same motherboard that I want by the way. I'm not sure what I should do personally but it seems logical to pay the extra (if I can afford to) to save myself hassle in future, no?

View attachment 5095

(Above attachment for reference to the actual breakdown of the cost and what i'm getting)

One of my main tasks on possibly a daily basis would be video rendering so... any ideas on how well having an extra 1.3GHz speed would be for that would be nice, I'd be using Camtasia Studio 7 for the rendering...

I must say though, thanks for the assistance.. must be mind numbing sometimes educating the new guys to the game like myself ^^

Attachments

• ComputerCost.jpg
    ComputerCost.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 56
Just as a sidenote.. I was considering avoiding getting my hands dirty and buying one of these bundles.

Award winning supplier, performance hardware & systems - Scan.co.uk

But I'm not so sure they are good value for money, I mean, I've already got RAM (2x4GB Vengeance) and a cooler (CM Hyper 212). This would work out probably in the region of being £100-£150 more expensive (they really get you by the balls with postage, apparently they classify Scotland as the ....... Islands. It fills me with much rage being a patriotic Scot)

It would be £390 for the parts in the OP right now whereas the OC'd version would be around £530 (so about £120 more) and all I'm getting is the following in my selection (from the "Edge" section) is:

This cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO BK016 CPU Cooler - Scan.co.uk

And a couple sticks of more of the same RAM, bringing me to an unnecessary total of 16GB DDR3. With the same motherboard that I want by the way. I'm not sure what I should do personally but it seems logical to pay the extra (if I can afford to) to save myself hassle in future, no?

View attachment 5095

(Above attachment for reference to the actual breakdown of the cost and what i'm getting)

One of my main tasks on possibly a daily basis would be video rendering so... any ideas on how well having an extra 1.3GHz speed would be for that would be nice, I'd be using Camtasia Studio 7 for the rendering...

I must say though, thanks for the assistance.. must be mind numbing sometimes educating the new guys to the game like myself ^^

No reason to have someone else do the overclocking for you. Sandy bridge is a beast when it comes to overclocking and you can easily OC it yourself.... If your worried about this there are thousands of tutorials out there to help you accomplish your goals. Granted your never guaranteed that your chip will OC all the way up to 4.7GHz but, in my experience 4.2Ghz is as close to a guarantee as your gonna get...

I don't think the combo is a good deal considering you already have 8GB of RAM and a decent cooler.
So you're essentially paying £146 for components you don't need, and a service you can do yourself (with any help you need from here).
BTW, links to Amazon in OP didn't work for me, so used CPU price off Aria and MB price off eBuyer (which has free shipping available... ?).

Also, do you have a Retail or OEM license for Windows on your current machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom