Upgrades in Mind. Advice?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice on a complete overhaul of a computer I have. I most literally found this in a garage when I was helping a friend move out. Firstly, the motherboard is an ASUS P5VD2VM-SE.

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P5VD2-VM SE

I've heard from a lot of people this board is plagued with problems; and I've heard it's a good board if the user knows what to add to it. Here is the current hardware configuration:

Processor: Intel Celeron D 3.06 GHz
Installed RAM: 2 GB
HDD: 250 GB
Graphics: Unknown (Intergrated graphics are absolutely horrible)
Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit

After the upgraded parts I would like to add, this is what the hardware configuration would be:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme 2.93 GHz (may overclock down the line)
Installed RAM: 4 GB (maxed out)
HDD: 250 GB
Graphics: (A PCI graphics card is being given to me but I do not yet know the specs)
Operating System: Windows XP 64-bit

So given my motherboard type, and the modern cost of the parts I would like to add while keeping in mind modern computing standards, is this upgrade plan I have worth it? And what rating would you give this machine if my desired specs were the original ones? Altogether from what I can tell, I can get all the upgraded parts at about $130 total. In addition I would like to say that I want to build a computer from scratch but I do not have the money to do so.

Is my desired configuration worth both the price I mentioned and the board it will be on; and how useful would this desired machine be?

2 problems I potentially see. The first being the CPU. If you can actually find one, the cost of it is probably going to be more than it's worth. The second being, I 99% doubt you can OC on that board.

The next being XP x64. It is plagued with more problems than the board itself.

IMO, not worth it.

Alright so overclocking and XP 64-bit aside, and assuming I already had the processor I wanted, it still wouldn't be worth it correct?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom